Best Limit & Calculus Books for College Students

• Calculus
  • Thread starter NooDota
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a comprehensive book on limits, with a focus on methods and approaches for finding limits. The speaker also asks for recommendations on calculus books that are easy to understand yet suitable for college-level courses. They mention a mnemonic device for solving limits and the importance of being flexible in approaching difficult limits. The conversation ends with an example of a limit that the speaker struggled to solve due to a lack of methods in their current textbooks.
NooDota
What are some good limit books, I'm looking for something that:

1. Talks about limits from A-Z, covering everything about them.
2. Has lots of limit problems and examples.
3. Mainly, I want it to have a doctrine for finding a limit, or somewhat a constant approach, like when you have 0/0 in specific function, your goal should be xyz..

College starts next year, and they only started teaching us about limits last year, my maths books are awful, they have no sets of methods or anything, and there are rules they don't allow you to use, like L'Hopital's.Also, if you know any good calculus books that explain it in a simple way, but also reaching the college level, that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Stewart, but I'm not sure you can divorce your recipe from common sense.

We used the pnemonic device DANG:

D - try direct substitution
A - try algebraic manipulation
N - Take a numberical approach, plugging in numbers closer and close from both sides
G - Try a graphical approach

You have to be flexible in your approach to limits and try something else if your first attempts fail.

The limits I have in my book are easy, but since we have no methods, I'm having a hard time solving the hard ones. There must be some book with a set of methods or something? I'm not allowed to us graphical approaches.

For example, a limit I couldn't solve is: lim f(x)= (ln(x) - 1)/(x-e) when x approaches e.

Related to Best Limit & Calculus Books for College Students

1. What is the importance of learning limit and calculus in college?

Limit and calculus are essential concepts in mathematics that are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. In college, these concepts are taught to develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are necessary for success in these fields.

2. What are some recommended books for learning limit and calculus in college?

Some highly recommended books for learning limit and calculus in college include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Thomas' Calculus" by George B. Thomas Jr. and Maurice D. Weir, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart. These books are widely used in college courses and provide a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning limit and calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning limit and calculus, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer free courses, lectures, and practice problems to help students understand the concepts and improve their skills.

4. How can I prepare for a college-level limit and calculus course?

To prepare for a college-level limit and calculus course, it is essential to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. It would also be helpful to review precalculus topics such as functions, graphs, and equations. Additionally, practicing with sample problems and seeking help from a tutor or online resources can also be beneficial.

5. Are there any real-world applications of limit and calculus?

Yes, limit and calculus have numerous real-world applications in various fields. For example, in physics, these concepts are used to study motion, forces, and energy. In economics, they are used to model and analyze supply and demand. In engineering, they are used to design structures and systems. In computer science, they are used for data analysis and optimization. Understanding limit and calculus can open up many career opportunities in these and other fields.