Best electronics kit for computer engineer?

In summary, there are various electronics kits available such as Lego, arduino, PIC, etc. However, when it comes to building projects for your resume, it is recommended to avoid listing toys and instead focus on the results and skills you gained from the project. Employers are more interested in what you can do for them rather than the specific tools you used. The process of building a project is what truly matters, teaching valuable skills such as planning, problem solving, and time management.
ainster31
There are a lot of electronics kits available. Lego has a couple and there are things like the arduino, the PIC, etc.

Which kit should I use that looks best on my resume? I should probably avoid Lego products as those might appear as toys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The arduino ones are great because they're cheap and highly relevant.

I would recommend ardunio for the reasons states by analog

None of them. Do not list toys. List projects that you built and make no mention of the toy factor in the resume. Mind you, I have the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and some MSP430 based stuff. I love to tinker with it. But people aren't interested in tinkering. They're interested in results.

If you built a power scavenging remote temperature monitor that reports back by radio, and it happens to have been built around an Arduino variant, don't mention the Arduino. If you built a web-enabled thermostat, don't mention that you did it with a Raspberry Pi.

Let the interviewer ask you how you built the project. If they do, feel free to answer and tell them in gory detail what you did.

Likes 1 person
JakeBrodskyPE said:
None of them. Do not list toys. List projects that you built and make no mention of the toy factor in the resume. Mind you, I have the Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and some MSP430 based stuff. I love to tinker with it. But people aren't interested in tinkering. They're interested in results.

If you built a power scavenging remote temperature monitor that reports back by radio, and it happens to have been built around an Arduino variant, don't mention the Arduino. If you built a web-enabled thermostat, don't mention that you did it with a Raspberry Pi.

Let the interviewer ask you how you built the project. If they do, feel free to answer and tell them in gory detail what you did.

Hmm but don't people care that I have experience with electric circuits or programming? I guess arduino knowledge isn't helpful in industry?

At the end of the day, the employer doesn't care about your technical skills. They care about what those technical skills can do for them. You could be the next Albert Einstein; but unless you can make money for them by building the things they seek, they really couldn't care less whether it was an Arduino, a BeagleBone, a Raspberry Pi, or some FPGA with an embedded processor.

To put JakeBrodsky's message a different way: what you learn from project building is the process. The specifics of what projects you build and what you use to build them doesn't matter much. The important lessons are things like planning, time and cost management, persistence, problem solving strategies (when it doesn't work first time!), avoiding "mission creep" so you actually reach an end point, etc.

Likes 1 person

Related to Best electronics kit for computer engineer?

What is the best electronics kit for computer engineers?

The best electronics kit for computer engineers will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include the Arduino starter kit, Raspberry Pi starter kit, and the Adafruit Metro Starter Pack. It's important to consider the components, compatibility, and support when choosing the best kit for you.

What components should be included in an electronics kit for computer engineers?

An electronics kit for computer engineers should include a microcontroller board, sensors, breadboard, resistors, LEDs, and other basic electronic components. Some kits may also include motors, servos, and other advanced components. It's important to make sure the kit has all the necessary components for your specific projects.

Are there any specific brands that are recommended for electronics kits for computer engineers?

Some recommended brands for electronics kits for computer engineers include Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Adafruit, and SparkFun. These brands are known for their high-quality products and good customer support. However, there are many other brands available and it's important to research and read reviews before making a decision.

How much should I expect to spend on an electronics kit for computer engineers?

The cost of an electronics kit for computer engineers can vary greatly depending on the brand, components, and features. Some basic starter kits can range from $20 to $50, while more advanced kits with additional components can cost upwards of $100. It's important to consider your budget and needs when choosing a kit.

Are there any online resources or tutorials available to help me learn how to use an electronics kit for computer engineers?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn how to use an electronics kit for computer engineers. Some popular options include the official websites of the brands, online forums, YouTube tutorials, and online courses. It's important to take advantage of these resources to fully utilize your electronics kit.