Best budget microcontroller kits?

In summary, the conversation discusses microcontroller kits as a hobby and asks for ratings in categories such as price, usability of an IDE, ease of starting, and debugging. The conversation also mentions checking sites like kijji for discounted kits.
KingNothing
For those of you who have toyed with microcontroller kits as a hobby, how would you rate the kit(s) you've used in the following categories?

1) Price - how much is the total cost of the development hardware and software?
2) Usability of an IDE for development?
3) Ease of starting - how long and how much troubleshooting to get the first 'test' program loaded onto the chip?
4) Debugging - is there an ICD available or included?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check sites like kijji. I noticed once a guy was selling +80$ arduino kit for like 20ish because he only used it for a demo he had to do..

p.s. I haven't played much with micro-controllers so I can't answer your questions.

Related to Best budget microcontroller kits?

1. What is a microcontroller kit?

A microcontroller kit is a set of components and tools that allow you to build and program a microcontroller, which is a small computer on a single chip. These kits usually include a microcontroller board, sensors, actuators, and necessary cables and software.

2. Why should I consider buying a budget microcontroller kit?

Budget microcontroller kits are a great option for beginners or those on a limited budget who want to learn about electronics and programming. These kits are more affordable than high-end ones, making them accessible to a wider audience.

3. Which microcontroller is the best for a budget microcontroller kit?

There are several microcontroller options available for budget kits, such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and ESP8266. The best one for you will depend on your specific needs and project requirements. It's recommended to do some research and read reviews to find the best fit.

4. What can I do with a budget microcontroller kit?

A budget microcontroller kit can be used for a variety of projects, such as creating simple robots, home automation systems, wearable devices, and more. It's a versatile tool that allows you to bring your ideas to life and learn new skills in the process.

5. Are budget microcontroller kits suitable for advanced users?

While budget microcontroller kits are primarily aimed at beginners, they can also be a good option for advanced users who are working on smaller projects or want to experiment with new technologies. However, if you require more advanced features or capabilities, you may want to consider investing in a higher-end kit.