Best Book for learning Algebra 2

In summary, a freshman in high school wants to learn Algebra II and may want to eventually learn calculus. He or she is considering using Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster, The Art of Problem Solving books, or Elements of Algebra, all of which have favorable reviews.
Tyler133
I am a freshman in high school I would like to major on physics and most likely in mathematics in college so I figured it would be worthwhile to start learning more math. In school I am currently learning geometry and next year my class will cover Algebra II. I was wondering what would be the best book for me to learn and hopefully master Algebra II. I have heard of Gelfand's book, Algebra. Would that give me a complete understanding of Algebra II or would I need an actually Algebra II textbook for understanding Algebra II, if so what would be the best textbook. I would also like to keep the price of the book to around 20 dollars or less.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I like the Algebra series by Lial/Hornsby/McGinnis. These are textbooks for remedial math students in college, but they have been used by homeschooled students. The book that corresponds to Algebra 2 is called Intermediate Algebra. The latest edition in paperback is the 10th edition; do not get this. Instead, find an earlier edition for cheap. Here is a link for the 8th edition at Amazon. Note that Intermediate Algebra does not include linear systems, matrices, or trig. The authors cover those topics in their Precalculus book.

Another book that is popular for homeschooled students is Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster. This book does include linear systems, matrices, and some trig. The book is out of date in that there is no correlation with graphing calculators, but that may be a good thing. At the moment the cheapest copy at "www.amazon.com/dp/0131657100"[/URL] is a little under $30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard a lot of good things about The Art of Problem Solving books.

dustbin said:
As have I. I can't believe I forgot to mention those earlier. :wink:

dustbin said:
These are Practice books with lots of AMC & AIME questions, this can't serve as good as a Text/Reference Book. Use the Higher Algebra by Hall & Knight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1402179650/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about the AoPS curriculum, not the contest prep books. They have texts on algebra, probability, number theory, geometry, calculus, etc. I don't see why these books would not be good on their own. If you mean their contest prep books, then I agree.

I'm now thinking of using Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster it seems to be getting very good reviews. Do you think this book would give me a complete understanding of Algebra II?

Is this a good Algebra II book?

I'm a freshman in high school and I want to learn Algebra II. I'm now thinking of using Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster it seems to be getting very good reviews. Do you think this book would give me a complete understanding of Algebra II? If/once I finish this book what would be the next book I should get? I want to eventually learn calculus.

(two threads merged)

Related to Best Book for learning Algebra 2

1. What is the best book for learning Algebra 2?

The best book for learning Algebra 2 may vary depending on personal learning style and needs. However, some popular options include "Algebra 2: A Common Core Curriculum" by Pearson, "Algebra and Trigonometry: Structure and Method, Book 2" by Richard G. Brown, and "Algebra 2" by McGraw-Hill Education.

2. How do I know if a book is suitable for my level of understanding?

It is important to look for books that are specifically labeled for the level of Algebra 2 you are learning. This information can usually be found on the cover or in the book's description. You can also flip through the book and check the topics covered to see if they align with your current understanding.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement a book for learning Algebra 2?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a book for learning Algebra 2. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MathHelp.com, and Purplemath. These websites offer instructional videos, practice problems, and other helpful tools for learning Algebra 2.

4. How can I make the most of using a book for learning Algebra 2?

To make the most of using a book for learning Algebra 2, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, practicing problems, and asking questions when something is unclear. It can also be helpful to break up study sessions into smaller chunks instead of trying to tackle a large amount of material at once.

5. Is it necessary to use a textbook for learning Algebra 2, or are there other alternatives?

While using a textbook can be a great resource for learning Algebra 2, it is not the only option. Some people may prefer to use online resources, attend a class or workshop, or work with a tutor. It is important to find the method that works best for you and your learning style.