Bessel Function / Helmholtz equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution of a screened Poisson equation with given constants. The solution involves using Green's function and depends on the boundary conditions.
rustygecko

Homework Statement

I'm interested in the solution of an equation given below. (It's not a homework/coursework question, but can be stated in a similar style, so I thought it best to post here.)

Homework Equations

[itex] A \nabla^2 f(x)-Bf(x)+C \exp(-2x^2/D^2)=0 [/itex]
where A,B,C,D are constants.

I know the solution (or the solution that's relevant for me) is:
[itex]f(x)=\frac{D^2C}{4} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{kJ_0(kx)\exp(-D^2k^2/8)}{Ak^2+B}dk [/itex]
where [itex]J_0[/itex] is a zeroth-order Bessel function, but I'm not entirely sure how to get there.

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems like a starting point might be solving:
[itex] A \nabla^2 f(x)-Bf(x)=0 [/itex]
which looks like a Helmholtz equation and then modifying that solution, but I haven't been able to solve that so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Green's functions?
You are dealing with a screened Poisson equation here, which can be solved by means of Green's function (which is where the Bessel function comes in). The solution also depends on the boundary conditions, which you can implicitly defined here.

Related to Bessel Function / Helmholtz equation

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that appears in many areas of science and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or spherical symmetry. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is typically denoted by the symbol J(x).

2. What is the Helmholtz equation?

The Helmholtz equation is a partial differential equation that is used to describe the behavior of waves in a wide range of physical systems, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and water waves. It is named after the physicist Hermann von Helmholtz and is written as ∇²ψ + k²ψ = 0, where ∇² is the Laplace operator, k is the wavenumber, and ψ is the wave function.

3. What is the relationship between Bessel functions and the Helmholtz equation?

Bessel functions are solutions to the Helmholtz equation when the wavenumber k is a real number. In fact, the Bessel function J(x) is defined as the solution to the equation x²J''(x) + xJ'(x) + (x² - α²)J(x) = 0, where α is a constant that depends on the wavenumber. This relationship makes Bessel functions extremely useful in solving problems involving the Helmholtz equation.

4. What are some applications of Bessel functions and the Helmholtz equation?

Bessel functions and the Helmholtz equation have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include the study of electromagnetic waves in cylindrical or spherical systems, the analysis of acoustic waves in pipes and resonators, and the characterization of the vibrational modes of circular and spherical membranes.

5. Are there any other types of Bessel functions besides the standard J(x) function?

Yes, there are several other types of Bessel functions, including the Neumann function Y(x), which is another solution to the Helmholtz equation, and the Hankel functions H^(1)(x) and H^(2)(x), which are linear combinations of J(x) and Y(x). These additional functions are often used in more complex problems that cannot be solved using the standard Bessel function alone.