Bessel equation & Orthogonal Basis

In summary, the author explains that a solution to a DE can be expressed in terms of eigenfunctions and an orthogonal basis, and that this is analogous to a Fourier series.
the_dialogue
I remember some of my linear algebra from my studies but can't wrap my head around this one.

Homework Statement

Say my solution to a DE is "f(x)" (happens to be bessel's equation), and it contains a constant variable "d" in the argument of the bessel's functions (i.,e. J(d*x) and Y(d*x)). So my solution is:

f(x)= A*J(d*x) + B*Y(d*x)

I can find a general solution for f(x) by imposing 2 boundary conditions f(x1)=f(x2)=0. That would give me an equation for f_n(x).

First question: The author calls this f_n(x) the "eigenfunctions" and the "orthogonal basis". Why is this given these names? I'm not sure why these solutions form an orthogonal basis.

Second question:

The author then states that an arbitrary vector F(x) "can be expanded in this orthogonal basis" via:

F(x)= sum{from n=1 to inf} [ a_n*f_n(x) ]

where

a_n = [ (f_n(x) , F(x)) ] / [ (f_n(x) , f_n(x) ]

What in the world is this on about? Any guidance would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
the_dialogue said:
First question: The author calls this f_n(x) the "eigenfunctions" and the "orthogonal basis". Why is this given these names? I'm not sure why these solutions form an orthogonal basis.
The differential equation you're solving can be written in the form

[tex]L[f(x)]=\lambda w(x) f(x)[/tex]

where L is a self-adjoint linear operator and w(x) is a weighting function. From linear algebra, you should recall that solutions to [itex]A\vec{x}=\lambda\vec{x}[/itex], where A was the matrix representing a linear transformation, were called eigenvectors with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex]. Here f(x) plays the role of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], which is why f(x) is called an eigenfunction.

A self-adjoint linear operator corresponds to a Hermitian matrix, which has real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors (neglecting the possibility of degeneracy for now), which form a basis of the vector space. Likewise, the [itex]f_n(x)[/itex]'s are orthogonal with respect to an inner product of the form

[tex]\langle f, g\rangle=\int_a^b f^*(x)g(x)w(x) dx[/tex]

and they too form a basis of a vector space of functions.

Second question:

The author then states that an arbitrary vector F(x) "can be expanded in this orthogonal basis" via:

F(x)= sum{from n=1 to inf} [ a_n*f_n(x) ]

where

a_n = [ (f_n(x) , F(x)) ] / [ (f_n(x) , f_n(x) ]

What in the world is this on about? Any guidance would be helpful!
If you have a vector [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] and an orthogonal basis [itex]\{\vec{v}_1, \vec{v}_2, \cdots, \vec{v}_n\}[/itex], you can express [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] as a linear combination of the basis vectors:

[tex]\vec{x} = a_1 \vec{v}_1 + \cdots + a_n \vec{v}_n[/tex]

Taking the inner product of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] with a basis vector [itex]\vec{v}_i[/itex], you get

[tex]\langle \vec{x},\vec{v}_i \rangle = a_1 \langle \vec{v}_1, \vec{v}_i \rangle + \cdots + a_n \langle \vec{v}_n, \vec{v}_i \rangle[/tex]

Because they're orthogonal, only the i-th term on the RHS survives, so you get

[tex]a_i=\frac{\langle \vec{x},\vec{v}_i \rangle}{\langle \vec{v}_i, \vec{v}_i \rangle}[/tex]

What the author is saying is analogous to this. Now F(x) plays the role of [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] and your [itex]f_n(x)[/itex]'s are the orthogonal basis vectors, and you get

[tex]a_i=\frac{\langle F(x),f_i(x)\rangle}{\langle f_i(x), f_i(x) \rangle}[/tex]

If you've ever worked with Fourier series before, this is what you were doing with an orthogonal basis consisting of the sine and cosine functions.

That's superb. Thank you.

Related to Bessel equation & Orthogonal Basis

1. What is a Bessel equation?

A Bessel equation is a type of second-order ordinary differential equation that is commonly used in mathematical physics to describe phenomena such as heat transfer, vibrations, and electromagnetic fields. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and takes the form of x2y'' + xy' + (x2 − n2)y = 0.

2. What is an orthogonal basis?

An orthogonal basis is a set of vectors that are perpendicular to each other, meaning they have a dot product of 0. In other words, an orthogonal basis is a set of vectors that are linearly independent and span a given vector space. This type of basis is useful in many mathematical and scientific fields, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and statistics.

3. How are Bessel equations and orthogonal bases related?

Bessel equations can be solved using an orthogonal basis, specifically the Bessel functions, which are a set of orthogonal functions that satisfy the Bessel equation. These functions have important applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

4. What are some real-world applications of Bessel equations and orthogonal bases?

Bessel equations and orthogonal bases have a wide range of applications in various scientific and engineering fields. Some examples include modeling heat transfer in materials, describing the vibrations of a drumhead, and analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic fields in cylindrical structures.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bessel equations and orthogonal bases?

While Bessel equations and orthogonal bases are powerful tools in many applications, they do have some limitations. For example, Bessel equations are only applicable to systems with rotational symmetry, and not all functions can be represented by an orthogonal basis. Additionally, the convergence of the solutions to Bessel equations can be slow, making them difficult to solve in some cases.