Being a PC/IT Security Professional

In summary, becoming a PC/IT security professional requires a combination of education and experience, and the specific amount of time varies depending on the job and employer. While training videos may provide some knowledge, hands-on experience and a background in computer science and information systems are typically necessary. White-hat hackers and security professionals have similar skill sets, but are not exactly the same. Continuing education and training is also necessary in this field.
mech-eng
How much time does being a PC security professional require in general or at least? Is it possible to be a PC/IT security professional by only watching training videos? We learn maths via solving examples on paper how can a security professional student his or her topics? Are white-hat hackers and security professionals exactly the same?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
mech-eng said:
How much time does being a PC security professional require in general or at least?

It's like any other job and determined by the employer.

mech-eng said:
Is it possible to be a PC/IT security professional by only watching training videos?

Getting a job and being qualified for it are two different things. In general your answer is no.

mech-eng said:
We learn maths via solving examples on paper how can a security professional student his or her topics?

Most have backgrounds in computer science, networking and information systems.

mech-eng said:
Are white-hat hackers and security professionals exactly the same?

How can they be exactly the same when they have different titles? :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's like any other job and determined by the employer.

I did not ask about how much they earn I ask about how many years or how much time does it require to become one of them from almost zero level?
Greg Bernhardt said:
Getting a job and being qualified for it are two different things. In general your answer is no.

Would explain the difference basically?
Greg Bernhardt said:
How can they be exactly the same when they have different titles? :wink:
Ethical hacker or white hat hacker might have been a kind of IT/PC security professional how doctor and physician exactly the same even the names are different.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
mech-eng said:
I did not ask about how much they earn I ask about how many years or how much time does it require to become one of them from almost zero level?

There are some 2 year programs that may allow you to get hired in an entry level position. You question doesn't have a concrete answer. It all depends on the specific job you want. Look at job listings and find out the requirements.

mech-eng said:
Would explain the difference basically?

What? I wouldn't hire anyone who only watched training videos. Would you?

mech-eng said:
Ethical hacker or white hat hacker might have been a kind of IT/PC security professional how doctor and physician exactly the same even the names are different.

What? Hackers and security professionals would have some similar skill sets. I don't know what else to say.

It's like any other profession I think. It takes lots of instruction and it also requires maintenance time. Right now, I'm in the middle of 50 hours of refresher training for my Security + recertification that's required every 3 years.

Likes berkeman
mech-eng said:
doctor and physician exactly the same even the names are different
I am a doctor. I am not a physician.

Dale said:
I am a doctor. I am not a physician.
LOL. Like he doesn't already have enough trouble understanding stuff... :wink:

Related to Being a PC/IT Security Professional

What is the role of a PC/IT Security Professional?

A PC/IT Security Professional is responsible for protecting a company's computer systems and networks from potential threats or attacks. This includes implementing security protocols, monitoring network activity, and responding to any security breaches.

What qualifications are needed to become a PC/IT Security Professional?

Most employers require a bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field. Additionally, certifications such as CompTIA Security+, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), or Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) may be required.

What are the common job duties of a PC/IT Security Professional?

Some common job duties include conducting security audits, developing and implementing security policies, performing risk assessments, and educating employees on security best practices. They may also be responsible for monitoring network activity and responding to any security incidents.

What skills are important for a PC/IT Security Professional to have?

Strong technical skills, such as knowledge of network security protocols and firewalls, are essential for a PC/IT Security Professional. They should also have excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as the ability to stay updated on the latest security threats and trends.

What are the career prospects for PC/IT Security Professionals?

The demand for PC/IT Security Professionals is expected to continue to grow as technology becomes more integrated into businesses and cyber threats continue to evolve. With the right qualifications and experience, there are opportunities for advancement into higher-level security positions or management roles.