Beginner Questions About Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter Helicobacter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary, the conversation discusses quantum mechanics, the existence of quanta, and visualizing electromagnetic waves. The motion of quantums is discrete, and while we can't see them, we know they exist through measurement. Electromagnetic waves can be visualized as a continuously distributed bunch of vectors, but can also be considered as particles (photons).
Helicobacter
1. I've looked at a beginner guide to quantum mechanics and a saw the probability illustration of an atom. It didn't seem quite continuous what leads me to the question: Is the motion of quantums discrete?

2. How do we know quants exist if we can't see them?

3. How do I have to visualize electromagnetic waves? After all, they have to be spacial, and space can be displayed with geometry - and geometry is rational. How thick are the layer waves in width? What's the radial displacement angle between two electromagnetic waves emitted from a diffuse light source? If they are an in-between of particle and waves: What is the in-between?

Physics news on Phys.org
Question number 3 is something I've been pondering about myself. For some reason or another I feel the need to visualize everything in my head for better understanding :)

An electromagnetic wave consists of two perpendicular waves: an electrostatic and magnetic field. They obey Maxwell's equations.

Like this:
http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/6122/elec7zg.jpg
?

Last edited by a moderator:
Helicobacter said:
1. I've looked at a beginner guide to quantum mechanics and a saw the probability illustration of an atom. It didn't seem quite continuous what leads me to the question: Is the motion of quantums discrete?

Indeed not only the motion of quantum world but the motion of classical world are also discreat. For example, the energy of system of harmonic oscilator [tex]E=\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex] is not continuous ;but, the discreated value is very small which is in magnitude of plank's constant. For quantum scale, this value is obvious.

For the second question, I think the word of 'quants' mean to quanta. No one could see a quanta. It is just only the human idea for describe the nature. Luckily, it seems to quite paint the real picture of god.

Finally, the derivation of Maxwell equations can write:
[tex]\vec{B}=\hat{k} \times \vec{E}[/tex]
the magnetic field is perpendicular to the electric field.

Awatarn said:
Indeed not only the motion of quantum world but the motion of classical world are also discreat. For example, the energy of system of harmonic oscilator [tex]E=\frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex] is not continuous ;but, the discreated value is very small which is in magnitude of plank's constant. For quantum scale, this value is obvious.

So everything in our visible universe is basically just appearing and diappearing tiny parts of matter, i.e. quanta?
I don't know any scientific constants except pi and e, hahaha, I'm not in college yet :blushing: :biggrin:

Awatarn said:
For the second question, I think the word of 'quants' mean to quanta.

O.k. you got me on that one, but:

Awatarn said:
No one could see a quanta.

the singular of quanta is a quantum :p

Thanks for the helpful information!

Helicobacter said:
The probability distribution of an electron in an atom (say hydrogen) is continuous.
You can't draw a graph of it, since you need to assign a value (the probability) to each point in space. So usually they show level surfaces, maybe that's what made it seem discontinuous.

2. How do we know quants exist if we can't see them?
The energy levels of an electron in an atom are discrete, not it's position. And we know it's true, because it's been measured very accurately.

3. How do I have to visualize electromagnetic waves? After all, they have to be spacial, and space can be displayed with geometry - and geometry is rational. How thick are the layer waves in width? What's the radial displacement angle between two electromagnetic waves emitted from a diffuse light source? If they are an in-between of particle and waves: What is the in-between?
I visualize an electromagnetic wave like any other EM-field. A continuously distributed bunch of vectors if you will, except that the bunch moves with the speed of light. EM-fields are really part of the classical picture of light. No particles (photons) come into play, but you can consider an EM-wave as being made up of a myriad of photons if you like.

Related to Beginner Questions About Quantum Mechanics

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and sub-atomic particles. It describes how these particles interact with each other and with electromagnetic radiation.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level. It has also led to the development of many technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computers, that have revolutionized our daily lives.

3. What are some key concepts in quantum mechanics?

Some key concepts in quantum mechanics include the wave-particle duality, superposition, and uncertainty principle. The wave-particle duality states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know with certainty both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the behavior of particles?

Quantum mechanics explains the behavior of particles through mathematical equations and principles. These principles, such as the Schrödinger equation, describe the probability of finding a particle at a certain location or with a certain energy. This probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics is different from classical mechanics, which describes the behavior of macroscopic objects.

5. Is quantum mechanics difficult to understand?

Quantum mechanics can be challenging to understand because it involves abstract concepts and mathematical equations. However, with dedication and effort, it is possible to grasp the fundamental principles and applications of quantum mechanics. Additionally, there are many resources available, such as textbooks and online lectures, to help individuals learn about quantum mechanics.