Beginner PHYSIC problem HELP nneded

In summary, two train cars are on a horizontal track with one starting at rest and the other moving at a constant speed. The first car has a constant acceleration of 2.4 m/s2 and is approaching the second car, which is 29 m away and moving at 4.0 m/s. The questions are where and when the cars will collide. To solve this problem, the kinematics equations can be used and a negative sign should be placed in front of the second car's velocity.
FahimP

Homework Statement

Two train cars are on a straight, horizontal track. One car starts at rest and is put in motion with a constant acceleration of 2.4 m/s2. This car moves toward a second car that is 29 m away and moving at a constant speed of 4.0 m/s.

a.) where will they collide
b.) how long will it take to collide

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My original plan to solve this problem was to set up two separate Kinematics equaitons .
I also put a negative sign infront of - 4.0m/s. My answer came out like 8.743 s .

ANY HELP OR ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes, the kinematics equations are the way to solve this. Can you show your work? We can't really tell if your answer is right or not unless you show how you got it.

Related to Beginner PHYSIC problem HELP nneded

1. What is a beginner PHYSIC problem?

A beginner PHYSIC problem is a basic physics question that is typically given to students who are just starting to learn about the subject. These problems involve fundamental concepts and can be solved using basic equations and principles.

2. How do I approach solving a beginner PHYSIC problem?

The first step in solving a beginner PHYSIC problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the given information and the unknown variable. Next, use relevant equations and principles to set up the problem and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving beginner PHYSIC problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving beginner PHYSIC problems include not reading the problem carefully, using the wrong equation or formula, and not paying attention to units. It is important to double check your work and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. What resources can I use to help me solve beginner PHYSIC problems?

There are many resources available to help with solving beginner PHYSIC problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It is also helpful to consult with your instructor or a tutor if you are having trouble understanding a concept.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

The key to improving your problem-solving skills in physics is practice. Make sure to work through a variety of problems and understand the underlying principles and concepts. You can also try breaking down more complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial in improving your problem-solving skills.