Beginner Differential Equations problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the differential equation that models the continuous compounding of interest in a savings account at a rate of .25%. The equation is dM/dt = kM, where M is the amount of savings at time t and k = .0025. This represents exponential linear growth.
SpiffyEh
The problem is as follows:
Assume interest in your savings account is compiunded continuously at a rate of .25%. Then the rate of growth of savings is proportional to its size with the proportionality constant k = .0025
Write the differential equation that models this situation. Let M be the amount of savings at time, t (years). What type of growth is this? Is this equation linear?

I'm not sure how to start this problem... The whole concept is confusing me. If someone could show me how to go about doing this that would be very helpful. From this i can probably work on the other ones. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SpiffyEh said:
the rate of growth of savings is proportional to its size with the proportionality constant k = .0025

Start with this statement

If M(t) is the size, what is the rate of growth written in its differential form?

Can you put that as being proportional to the the size and then use the fact that if y (in terms of v0x and x0)
x, then y=kx?

Well since M(t) is the amount of money at time t wouldn't the equation be km where k is the constant and m is the amount of money in the account? or am i thinking of this wrong?

SpiffyEh said:
Well since M(t) is the amount of money at time t wouldn't the equation be km where k is the constant and m is the amount of money in the account? or am i thinking of this wrong?

yes something would b equal to kM(t),

? = kM(t)

what should go in place of the '?'

M(t) = dm/dt = km

SpiffyEh said:
M(t) = dm/dt = km

Now can you solve

dM/dt = kM ?

rock.freak667 said:
Now can you solve

dM/dt = kM ?

It doesn't need to be solved, that's actually all i needed for that part of the problem. I just thought it would be more complicated than that. I also got that its an exponential linear growth.

Related to Beginner Differential Equations problem

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates the rates of change of a function to its current value. It involves derivatives, which represent the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the equation. This can help us understand the behavior of a system or make predictions about its future state.

What are some common techniques used to solve beginner differential equations problems?

Some common techniques used to solve beginner differential equations problems include separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. Each technique is suited for different types of differential equations.

How do I know if I have solved a differential equation correctly?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original differential equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use a graphing calculator to visualize the behavior of the function.

Can differential equations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, differential equations are used extensively in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand real-world systems. They can be used to describe the behavior of systems ranging from population growth to the spread of diseases.