Beginner at solving projectile equations

In summary, the speaker suggests using equations of motion instead of trajectory equations to solve projectile motion problems. They also advise against relying solely on formulas, as they are only applicable in specific cases and can change depending on the situation. The method using equations of motion is more general and can be applied to a variety of difficult problems.
david_19
Hi, my question is simple. can you solve the projectile motion problems with only using equations of motion and without Distance travelled, Time of flight, Angle of reach like equations?

so does that mean you have two choices to solve them problems either with equations of motion or trajectory equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
david_19 said:
Hi, my question is simple. can you solve the projectile motion problems with only using equations of motion and without Distance travelled, Time of flight, Angle of reach like equations?

I do not understand your question. You don't need numbers to "answer" the question- you'll just wind up with an algebraic expression.

so does that mean you have two choices to solve them problems either with equations of motion or trajectory equations?

Equations of motion is a general term that encompasses what I think you are referring to as trajectory equations.

Actually, you should try to use the 'formulas' as little as possible. They are all derived from the fundamental equations of motion. The reasoning is that the forumulas are only applicable in certain specific cases and they change depending on the situation (inclined plane etc.)

The equations of motion are the same in all cases. The only changes that occur are in the parameters governing those equations (like where the ground is wrt the point of firing). This becomes more apparent when you attempt gradually more difficult problems.

However, the method is the same in all cases using the equations of motion. Its more general.

Related to Beginner at solving projectile equations

1. What are projectile equations and why are they important in science?

Projectile equations are mathematical equations used to describe the motion of an object in two dimensions under the influence of gravity. They are important in science because they help us understand and predict the trajectory of objects such as projectiles, which are essential in fields like physics, engineering, and ballistics.

2. What are the basic principles behind solving projectile equations?

The basic principles behind solving projectile equations involve understanding the forces acting on an object, such as gravity, air resistance, and initial velocity. These forces affect the object's motion, and by using mathematical equations, we can calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.

3. How do I determine the initial velocity and angle of a projectile?

To determine the initial velocity and angle of a projectile, you can use the equation v0 = v * cos(theta), where v0 is the initial velocity, v is the magnitude of the velocity, and theta is the angle of the projectile's initial velocity vector. You can also use trigonometric functions to solve for the angle if given the initial velocity and horizontal/vertical components of the velocity.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving projectile equations?

Some common mistakes when solving projectile equations include forgetting to account for air resistance, using incorrect units or not converting them properly, and forgetting to consider the initial height of the projectile. It is also essential to double-check calculations and use the correct mathematical formula for the given scenario.

5. How can I apply projectile equations to real-world situations?

Projectile equations can be applied to real-world situations such as calculating the trajectory of a ball thrown in a game of baseball or predicting the path of a rocket launched into space. These equations are also used in engineering to design and test objects like airplanes and missiles, making them an essential tool in many industries.