Bears Invade Northern BC City: Pics from My Yard

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Bears, everyone is talkin' 'bout bears! Every year, we get some bears, but this summer my northern BC (Canada) city has been invaded by an extraordinarily large number of bears! Daughter's chore: knock crab apples out of that tree, and then rake them up. Not sure why she isn't in the pic. Pics of a bear in my front/back yards.
Bear Front.jpg

Bear Back.jpg

• Wow
Likes Rive, DennisN and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
Not sure why she isn't in the pic.
Probably because she's a teenager?

• Haha
Likes BillTre and DaveE
Just last weekend I went camping on Crownland near Crowsnest Pass, AB. I had a black bear roll up on me while I was doing my business in the woods. Heard crashing in the brush, looked up, and sure enough there's a bear not even ten yards away.

George Jones said:
this summer my northern BC (Canada) city has been invaded by an extraordinarily large number of bears!
Possibly because the forest fires in the region.

We also got (some) bear spotting nearby.
There is an overpopulation of bears in the neighbouring country and they don't really got the idea of 'borders' so they came wandering around.

Since we often take hikes in the forests (and also, some mushroom-foraging :smile: ) we just got ourselves a 'Bear Buster' as a precaution.
Feels really stupid to bring that can of scary stuff with us every time we go around these comfy, well known forests ...

... but I know that I would feel even more: terribly stupid without it at the first personal meeting :nb)

Darn it. I quickly clicked into this thread, and then realized I'd misread the title as Beers! :oldeyes:

• Haha
Likes Vanadium 50, phinds and Mondayman
I thought it was a celebration of the Chicago Bears being tied for first.
Technically.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
Mondayman said:
Just last weekend I went camping on Crownland near Crowsnest Pass, AB. I had a black bear roll up on me while I was doing my business in the woods. Heard crashing in the brush, looked up, and sure enough there's a bear not even ten yards away.Possibly because the forest fires in the region.
Are you two now "bum buddies".

You can be sure it wasn't a wolf, as it would have been howling at the moon.