Bearing Basics: Axial, Radial, & Tangential Loads

In summary, bearings are important for transferring loads between components, and understanding the types and how they are designed is important.
sriram123
Hi all,
I have recently started my machine design course in engineering and I am finding the topic of bearings difficult to follow.
I understand the need for bearing.What I cannot understand is what axial,radial and tangential loads will try to do with the bearing (especially the tangential load).

Can anyone provide some references to illustrate the loads and their effect on bearings?

Sorry if something is confusing.I just want some graphical description for bearings.

Engineering news on Phys.org
what kind of bearing? crankshaft, tapered, roller, needle, ball?

First of all thanks for the replies.

I just wanted to understand a simple system with say deep groove ball bearings.I went through some references and now i think i have some of my questions answered.

What I don't understand still is how do radial and thrust bearings differ construction wise.How is a bearing specifically constructed to take more axial or radial load.

Thanks in advance

a thrust bearing is designed with wide grooves in it and a radial bearing usually only has a groove in the block side of the bearing except an olds 455, that I know of. the groove towards the block is to help oil flow across the bearing rather than just having a hole in it. where as on a rod bearing the hole is in the crankshaft and the bearing is spinning on the crank that such will oil the whole bearing. but on a main the groove helps spread the oil out. and as far as bearings on a crankshaft go the clearance is more important to keep the oil film as the ''bearing material'' because if you had any metal to metal contact. you have catastrophic failure in this instance. and if you have for instance an axle bearing that doesn't have a c clip that carries a side load. it will be tapered to help it carry a load. where as if you use a c clip you don't need the taper because the load is to the c clip and carrier pin. what application are you talking about using these bearings in. and maybe I could give you less automotive specific advice

Here's a cross-section of a pure radial-load bearing.

%D0%B0%20%D0%BD%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%83%D0%B6%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%BC%20%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%BB%D1%8C%D1%86%D0%B5.png

Imagine that there's a shaft going through it's center, and imagine a radial load on the top race. The load would go straight through the roller and into the shaft...and thus it would be well supported.

Radial.png

Now imagine trying to ask this bearing to withstand a thrust load on its top race. there's nothing supporting the load. In fact, the bearing would simply fall apart.

Thrust.png

You have to rotate the rollers 90 degrees to turn this into a thrust bearing. Of course, then it would take no radial load. You can also rotate the rollers maybe 45 degrees, so it can take a bit of both loads...

s-c-h-s-thr.jpg

If you examine other types of bearings...ball, fluid, whatever, you will see from their layout that they are simply weaker for one type of load than the other, or in some (most?) cases will simply fall apart if asked to take a load they are not designed for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Bearing Basics: Axial, Radial, & Tangential Loads

What is a bearing?

A bearing is a mechanical component that is used to reduce friction between moving parts. It allows for the smooth rotation or movement of one part relative to another.

What are axial, radial, and tangential loads?

Axial load is a force that is applied parallel to the axis of rotation or movement. Radial load is a force that is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation or movement. Tangential load is a force that is applied tangent to the axis of rotation or movement.

How do these types of loads affect bearings?

Axial loads can cause bearings to experience thrust forces, while radial loads can cause bearings to experience bending or flexural forces. Tangential loads can cause bearings to experience shear forces.

How can bearings handle these types of loads?

Bearings are designed to handle specific types of loads based on their construction and materials. For example, thrust bearings are designed to handle axial loads, while radial bearings are designed to handle radial loads. Some bearings, such as angular contact bearings, are designed to handle both axial and radial loads.

What factors should be considered when selecting a bearing for a specific application?

When selecting a bearing, factors such as the type and direction of the load, speed of rotation, temperature, and environment should be taken into consideration. It is important to choose a bearing that can handle the specific load and operating conditions to ensure optimal performance and longevity.