Beam deflection boundary condition calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the deflection at specific points on a beam and the related boundary conditions. There is also confusion about the meaning and significance of the slope and its value at x=L/2.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Find the deflection at x=L/4 and x=L/2 for the beam

Homework Equations

See attached pic.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the solution derived in class. Only 0<x<L/2 is derived because since the load on the beam is at L/2, the equation is valid for the entire beam since its symmetric (or something like that, if this isn't the correct explanation somebody tell me). My question concerns the boundary conditions. I know that at x=0, the displacement v=0. Hence you get C2=0. Now the second thing:

dv/dx=0 at x=L/2

I have no idea what dv/dx means, why its 0, and why its taken at x=L/2. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• paint.jpg
    paint.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 556
Physics news on Phys.org
You ever heard of the 'slope' of the beam being discussed in your class? The slope = dv/dx.

ok, so what is the slope physically mean? Why is it 0 at x=L/2? It has something to do with the load P? I see that the derivative of moment is shear force, and the derivative of shear force is distributed force. But that has nothing to do with deflection right?

Start with deflection. What's the first derivative of a curve represent?

the slope, y/x. Why would dv/dx=0 at x=L/2? That makes no physical sense, because at x=L/2 there is a load P upward and it must deflect. Hence dv/dx can't be 0.

Last edited:
What's the slope of a curve in calculus class?

Related to Beam deflection boundary condition calculation

1. What is beam deflection boundary condition calculation?

Beam deflection boundary condition calculation is a method used to determine the displacement and rotation of a beam at specific points along its length. It takes into account factors such as the beam's geometry, material properties, and applied loads to calculate the amount of deflection and rotation at a given point.

2. Why is beam deflection boundary condition calculation important?

Beam deflection boundary condition calculation is important because it allows engineers to accurately predict how a beam will behave under various loading conditions. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

3. What are the different types of boundary conditions in beam deflection calculations?

There are three main types of boundary conditions in beam deflection calculations: simply supported, fixed, and free. A simply supported boundary condition means that the beam is supported on both ends and can rotate freely at those points. A fixed boundary condition means that the beam is fixed at both ends and cannot rotate. A free boundary condition means that the beam is unsupported at both ends and can rotate and deflect freely.

4. How is beam deflection boundary condition calculation performed?

Beam deflection boundary condition calculation involves using mathematical formulas and equations to solve for the displacement and rotation at a given point on the beam. These equations take into account factors such as the beam's length, cross-sectional area, material properties, and applied loads. Advanced techniques such as finite element analysis may also be used for more complex beam geometries.

5. What are some common applications of beam deflection boundary condition calculation?

Beam deflection boundary condition calculation is commonly used in the design and analysis of structures such as buildings, bridges, and industrial equipment. It is also used in the design of structural elements such as beams, columns, and trusses. In addition, it is used in the development of mechanical and civil engineering projects, as well as in research studies related to beam behavior and structural mechanics.