Beam Bending of a Linearly Varying Beam with 2 point loads

In summary, the conversation discusses a design problem involving a cantilever beam with two point loads and the need to determine the force required to move snap fits. The person is trying to solve the problem mathematically and has set up integrations, but is unsure if it is correct due to a lack of understanding in calculus 2. They have also referenced a similar example from a textbook and are seeking help in solving the problem.
JasonL527
I'm trying to design something and rather than solve it using FEA guess and check, I'm trying to mathematically solve it.

The part I'm getting stuck at is having 2 point loads on a linearly varying cantilever beam.

LtHCvCB
https://imgur.com/LtHCvCB

The closest example I could find to this that was close to a solution was this on page 4 & 5: https://engineering.purdue.edu/~ce474/Docs/Beam_Examples01.pdf But I'm not sure if I really even understand the solution.

I set up integrations to solve for in-between but I'm not sure if it's set up right...and also my calculus 2 is sorely lacking

*This is not for homework. This is what I'm designing and the above question relates to part of the design. Aka, how much force is required to cause enough displacement to move the snap fits in 1.35mm

xEnjcdw
https://imgur.com/xEnjcdw

Please help :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 433
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 400
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

No, I'm designing something and I broke it up into individual parts that would resemble textbook examples so I could hopefully recognize and solve it.

I'm stuck at this part. I've already designed the snap fit and know how much force is required to snap the two parts together. But I haven't figured out how to translate the forces into something that would pull back the snap fit.

Related to Beam Bending of a Linearly Varying Beam with 2 point loads

1. What is beam bending?

Beam bending is a phenomenon where a beam experiences a change in shape or deflection when a load is applied to it. This can occur in both horizontal and vertical directions.

2. What is a linearly varying beam?

A linearly varying beam is a beam that has a non-uniform cross-section, meaning that its width, height, or both vary along its length in a linear fashion.

3. How are point loads applied to a linearly varying beam?

Point loads are applied to a linearly varying beam by exerting a concentrated force at a specific point along the beam's length. This force can be either vertical or horizontal.

4. How do point loads affect the bending of a linearly varying beam?

Point loads cause bending in a linearly varying beam by creating a torque or moment at the point of application. This results in a change in the beam's shape or deflection.

5. What is the equation for calculating the maximum deflection of a linearly varying beam with 2 point loads?

The equation for calculating the maximum deflection of a linearly varying beam with 2 point loads is δmax = (PL^3)/(48EI), where P is the magnitude of the point loads, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-section.