Be Proactive: Tips to Improve Your Studies

• Studying
  • Thread starter Felipe Lincoln
  • Start date
In summary: K. Smith suggests that a proactive student is someone who is curious and has pride in their work. This person is not afraid to ask questions and tries to come up with their own solutions to problems. They also have a good work space that is conducive to learning. In summary, proactive students are those who are willing to do more than what is required or given to them.
Felipe Lincoln
Gold Member
I made a thread where was discussed ways to improve the studies here
But there I saw a lot of time that we should be more proactive when studying. But I realized I was only being reactive, my behaviour is: give me an exercise list and I'll do it, give me the chapters of a textbook and I'll read it. I never did more than this, and it's the minimal one can do. But what can I do more?
So can you give me any advice on how to become a proactive student?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe join a professional or academic society and work on projects? I find myself looking into things even if it's not required or given to me.

Another thing I like to do is make up my own problems. You don't have to be too crafty: Take something you already know or are familiar with, and mess it up; add in a different conditions or parameters.

Likes Felipe Lincoln
For me it has been my curiosity. I think if you’re really really interested in something, you will always think about it and want to engulf yourself in that thing and doing more problems is something that you want to do. I don't think this should be much of a problem because we should ( I would think ) major in something that is extremely interesting to us, so we should usually be interested in the classes that accompany that as well.

But you can't be interested in everything. Some psychology classes and finance classes that I've taken were absolute torture for me. And how I got myself to perform well and sit down and do it was to have pride in my work. In doing so, at the end of the semester you can feel good that even though you didnt want to do it, you got it done at the best of your ability. I think that’s just life in general- we need to be mature enough to do the things that we don't want to do but need to be done.

Also, I think that having a good work space is very important. I have my study room set up to where I love being in it, and its strictly for studying. So when its time to sit down and work, I am in an environment that’s conducive to learning.

Likes Felipe Lincoln
Felipe Lincoln said:
I made a thread where was discussed ways to improve the studies here
But there I saw a lot of time that we should be more proactive when studying. But I realized I was only being reactive, my behaviour is: give me an exercise list and I'll do it, give me the chapters of a textbook and I'll read it. I never did more than this, and it's the minimal one can do. But what can I do more?
This sounds to me as if you lack the most important ingredient of success in science of all: curiosity. This is the normal motivation to read scientific literature. So if it is not this, then ask yourself what motivates you instead and act accordingly.
Here is what K. Smith had to say about it, which I think is a valuable advice:
http://www.ams.org/publications/journals/notices/201707/rnoti-p718.pdf

Likes Felipe Lincoln
Felipe Lincoln said:

I think it's essential to have a sense of humor and relax.

When we are reading a textbook and doing its exercises we have the confidence that the text (somewhat) makes sense and that the exercises have solutions. So if we fail to comprehend the text or can't solve the exercises, we admit a defect in ourselves and anxiously work to correct it. Success in routine study is measured by correcting such defects.

However, if we formulate our own questions and answers, we create "text" that make not make any sense at all So when we "study" our self-written text, we can't do so with the same confidence as studying a textbook. Likewise, if we pose our own exercises, we can't be sure that they have answers that we are equipped to find. You can't take a proactive outlook toward a subject unless you can tolerate (or even enjoy) the experience of not always bringing things to a successful conclusion.

Likes Felipe Lincoln
The title of this topic means, "How to prepare in advance to handle unexpected changes or unexpected difficulties."

Proactive for learning or studying can mean or include: Begin to study a course or set of topics before being officially enrolled in the course containing those topics. Or trying to study ahead if already enrolled in and studying a course. It can and usually should mean both finding extra material tor read for the course; and also trying more than just the officially assigned exercises.

Stephen Tashi said:
However, if we formulate our own questions and answers, we create "text" that make not make any sense at all So when we "study" our self-written text, we can't do so with the same confidence as studying a textbook. Likewise, if we pose our own exercises, we can't be sure that they have answers that we are equipped to find.

This is exactly what I tell my students when they ask me how to study. It really is the best way to learn the material.

Likes Felipe Lincoln
Thanks all the aswers, I'll take into consideration every advice.
I'll try doing my own content on what I'm studying, never heard of this method before and I liked it.

Related to Be Proactive: Tips to Improve Your Studies

1. How can being proactive improve my studies?

Becoming more proactive in your studies means taking control of your learning and being more intentional about your approach. This can lead to better time management, increased productivity, and a deeper understanding of the material.

2. What are some practical tips for being more proactive in my studies?

One tip is to create a schedule or study plan for yourself, breaking down tasks into manageable chunks. Another is to actively engage with the material, such as by taking notes or asking questions. Additionally, setting specific goals and regularly reflecting on your progress can help you stay on track.

3. How can being proactive help me in the long run?

Being proactive in your studies can lead to the development of important skills such as time management, organization, and critical thinking. These skills are not only beneficial for academic success, but also in various aspects of life and future career opportunities.

4. Is it ever too late to start being proactive in my studies?

No, it is never too late to start being proactive in your studies. It may require some extra effort and determination, but implementing proactive habits can still make a significant impact on your learning and academic performance.

5. What are some potential challenges I may face when trying to be proactive in my studies?

Some potential challenges may include staying motivated, managing time effectively, and balancing other responsibilities. It's important to recognize these challenges and find strategies to overcome them, such as seeking support from peers or setting realistic goals.