Battery connected to capacitors in series

In summary, a 12-V battery is connected to three capacitors in series with capacitances of 4.0uF, 14uF, and 33uF. The potential difference across the capacitors can be found by using the equation Q = UC, where Q is the charge, U is the potential difference, and C is the capacitance. Since the capacitors are in series, they will all have the same charge. The sum of the potential differences across the capacitors should be 12V, and the question is asking for the potential difference across the 33uF capacitor. To find this, you can use the equation Q = CV and solve for C.
matt72lsu

Homework Statement

A 12-V battery is connected to three capacitors in series. The capacitors have the following capacitances: 4.0uF, 14uF, and 33uF.

Homework Equations

R = V/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm thinking you add the capacitances since they are in series (do i need to convert them from uf to F?) but I'm not sure what to do after that

Physics news on Phys.org

you don't add them. This should be in your textbook somewhere. You can derive the equation to use with Q = UC (charge = potential difference * capacitance), together with the fact that all of the capacitors have the same charge (if they started out empty) because the same current has gone through them always.
Compute the potential difference across the 3 capacitors with Q=UC and the sum of them should be 12 V

I forgot to add the actual question of what they are looking for: Find the voltage across the 33uF capacitor

Last edited:

Ok so I know you use Q = CV. But I am still confused about how to find C.

anybody?

Related to Battery connected to capacitors in series

1. How does a battery connected to capacitors in series affect the overall capacitance?

Connecting capacitors in series increases the overall capacitance. The total capacitance is calculated by adding the inverse of each individual capacitor's capacitance. This is known as the reciprocal rule.

2. What happens to the voltage across each capacitor in a series connection?

The voltage across each capacitor in a series connection is equal to the total voltage of the battery. This is because capacitors in series share the same charge, and the total voltage is divided among them.

3. Can a battery connected to capacitors in series be charged?

Yes, a battery connected to capacitors in series can be charged. Each capacitor will receive the same charge, resulting in an overall increase in the potential difference across the capacitors.

4. How does the energy stored in a series connection of capacitors compare to a single capacitor?

The energy stored in a series connection of capacitors is less than a single capacitor with the same capacitance. This is because the total capacitance in a series connection is less than the individual capacitance of each capacitor.

5. What happens if a capacitor in a series connection is disconnected?

If a capacitor in a series connection is disconnected, the overall capacitance will decrease and the voltage across the remaining capacitors will increase. This can lead to damage or failure of the remaining capacitors, as they were not designed to withstand higher voltages.