Battery capacity and time to full discharge

In summary, a car battery with a 12.0 V emf and an initial charge of 120 A*h can deliver energy at a rate of 100 W for 14.4 hours, assuming the potential across the terminals remains constant until the battery is completely discharged. This is calculated using the formula t = Q * U / P, where Q is the charge, U is the potential, and P is the power.
Quipzley
A certain car batter with a 12.0 V emf has an initial charge of 120 A*h. Assuming that the potential across the terminals stays constant until the battery is completely discharged, for how many hours can it deliver energy at the rate of 100 W?

I am not sure how to get time into the situaution. I know that the answer is obtained by taking (12 V * 120 A*h)/ 100 W = 14.4 hrs

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is the rate of the change of charge in time:
I = Q / t.

Power is computed (here) as product of current and potential across the terminals:
P = I * U

By eliminating the current I from upper equations, you get:
t = Q / I = Q / (P / U) = Q * U / P

charge Q = 120 Ah, U = 12 V, P = 100 W.

t = Q * U / P = 120 Ah * 12 V / 100 W = 14.4 hrs

The equation you provided is correct. To get the time into the situation, you can use the formula P=IV, where P is power (in watts), I is current (in amperes), and V is voltage (in volts). In this case, we know that the battery has a voltage of 12.0 V and an initial charge of 120 A*h. We also know that it can deliver energy at a rate of 100 W. So, using the formula, we can rearrange it to solve for time (t):
t = (V * A*h) / P
Substituting in the values we know:
t = (12 V * 120 A*h) / 100 W
t = 14.4 hours
Therefore, the battery can deliver energy at a rate of 100 W for 14.4 hours before it is completely discharged. This calculation assumes that the potential across the terminals stays constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

Related to Battery capacity and time to full discharge

1. What is battery capacity?

Battery capacity refers to the amount of energy that a battery can store. It is typically measured in units of ampere-hours (Ah) or milliampere-hours (mAh).

2. What affects battery capacity?

Battery capacity can be affected by various factors such as the type of battery, its age, temperature, and the amount of current drawn from it.

3. How is battery capacity calculated?

Battery capacity can be calculated by multiplying the battery's current rating (in amps) by the time it takes to discharge completely (in hours). For example, a battery with a current rating of 1 amp and a discharge time of 10 hours would have a capacity of 10 Ah.

4. What is the relationship between battery capacity and time to full discharge?

The higher the battery capacity, the longer it will take to fully discharge. This is because a battery with a larger capacity can store more energy, allowing it to power a device for a longer period of time before running out of charge.

5. How can I extend the battery capacity and time to full discharge?

To extend the battery capacity and time to full discharge, it is important to use the battery properly and maintain it regularly. This includes avoiding extreme temperatures, not overcharging the battery, and using the correct charger for the battery.