Basis functions for polynomial

In summary, the problem asks to define P3(I) as the set of polynomials of degree ≤ 3 on the interval [a,b], and then show that v, a polynomial in P3(I), is uniquely determined by its values at a and b and their derivatives. The proof involves showing that the coefficients of v are uniquely determined by these values.
Somefantastik

Homework Statement

For I = [a,b], define: P3(I) = {v: v is a polynomial of degree ≤ 3 on I, i.e., v has the form v(x) = a3x3 + a2x2 + a1x + a0}. How to show v is uniquely determined by v(a), v'(a), v(b), v'(b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure what I'm being asked to do here. I don't need the problem solved, just a nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I = [a,b] just stands for an interval of real numbers?

I also guess that you are allowed to assume that multiplication and addition of given real numbers always produces a unique real number?

Then your four given coefficients ai uniquely determine P.

So it seems you are being asked to prove that v(a), v'(a) etc. uniquely determine the ai .

Related to Basis functions for polynomial

What are basis functions for polynomial?

Basis functions for polynomial are a set of functions that are used to represent a polynomial in a specific form. They are used in polynomial interpolation and regression to approximate a given function or set of data points.

How do basis functions for polynomial work?

Basis functions for polynomial work by breaking down a polynomial into simpler, orthogonal functions such as monomials, Legendre polynomials, or Chebyshev polynomials. These functions are then combined and scaled to fit the original polynomial function.

What is the purpose of using basis functions for polynomial?

The purpose of using basis functions for polynomial is to simplify the representation of a polynomial function and make it easier to manipulate and analyze. It also allows for more accurate approximation of a function or set of data points.

What are some commonly used types of basis functions for polynomial?

Some commonly used types of basis functions for polynomial include monomials, Legendre polynomials, Chebyshev polynomials, and Bernstein polynomials. The choice of basis function depends on the problem at hand and the desired level of accuracy.

Can basis functions for polynomial be used for functions other than polynomials?

Yes, basis functions for polynomial can be used for functions other than polynomials. They can also be used for other types of functions, such as trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions, by transforming them into a polynomial form.