Basis for a Plane that is given.

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find a basis for a plane in R3. There is a hint given, but it is not taken advantage of. The plane is found when the vectors <0, 2, -1> and <2, 0, -3> are solved for. The basis is <0, 2, -1>, <2, 0, -3>.
Sai-

Homework Statement

Consider the plane 3x1-x2+2x3 = 0 in R3. Find a basis for this plane. Hint: It's not hard to find vectors in this plane.

Homework Equations

Plane: 3x1-x2+2x3 = 0 in R3.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let,
A = [itex]\left[3,\right.\left.-1,\right.\left.2\right][/itex] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\left[\frac{3}{3},\right.\left.\frac{-1}{3},\right.\left.\frac{2}{3}\right][/itex] (Row Reduced)

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] x1 = [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]x2-[itex]\frac{2}{3}[/itex]x3, x2 is free, x3 is free.

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\left\{x_2[\frac{1}{3},1,0]+x_3[\frac{-2}{3},0,1] | x_2, x_3 \in R\right\}[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Basis of Plane = [itex]\left\{[\frac{1}{3},1,0],[\frac{-2}{3},0,1]\right\}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
you didn't take advantage of the hint. A o B = |A| |B| cos(ABangle) and in your case you've got <3,-1,2> o <x1,x2,x3> = 0

jedishrfu said:
you didn't take advantage of the hint. A o B = |A| |B| cos(ABangle) and in your case you've got <3,-1,2> o <x1,x2,x3> = 0

Don't I just get the plane then, because
<3,-1,2> DOT <x1,x2,x3> = 3x1-x2+2x3
which then is equal to 0.

it means that the vectors you are looking for are perpendicular to <3,-1,2>

It also means that <0,0,0> is in the plane

so what if you set x1=0 and solve for x2 and x2 then you'd have one vector and similarly set x2=0 and solve for x1 and x3 to get the other vector.

jedishrfu said:
it means that the vectors you are looking for are perpendicular to <3,-1,2>

It also means that <0,0,0> is in the plane

so what if you set x1=0 and solve for x2 and x2 then you'd have one vector and similarly set x2=0 and solve for x1 and x3 to get the other vector.

I set x1 = 0, so then -x2 + 2x3 = 0, so x2 = 2, x3 = -1 ... <0, 2, -1> = u
I set x2 = 0, so then 3x1 + 2x3 = 0, so x1 = 2, x3 = -3 ... <2, 0, -3> = v

<0, 2, -1> DOT <3, -1, 2> = 0
<2, 0, -3> DOT <3, -1, 2> = 0

So then my basis for the plane is <0, 2, -1>, <2, 0, -3>.

If this is the correct basis, then I'm wondering how come the first basis was wrong? If in my first attempt I solved the problem every other way that I do to get the basis's for other matrices.

I never said they were wrong. I just showed you how I would attack the problem using the hint that was given. In your case any two non parallel vectors in the plane can form a basis from which other vectors can be generated.

I didn't quite understand your method and saw that you didn't consider the hint. My apologies for any confusion.

Anyway, one last check you can do is to dot the basis vectors with each other to make sure they aren't parallel or anti-parallel (parallel but pointing in opposite directions).

Likes 1 person
jedishrfu said:
I never said they were wrong. I just showed you how I would attack the problem using the hint that was given. In your case any two non parallel vectors in the plane can form a basis from which other vectors can be generated.

I didn't quite understand your method and saw that you didn't consider the hint. My apologies for any confusion.

Anyway, one last check you can do is to dot the basis vectors with each other to make sure they aren't parallel or anti-parallel (parallel but pointing in opposite directions).

Thank you for the feed back! I dotted my original basis's with the vector that forms the plane and got 0 for both the vectors in the basis.

Sai- said:
Thank you for the feed back! I dotted my original basis's with the vector that forms the plane and got 0 for both the vectors in the basis.

Also dot them against each other as a check against them being parallel.

Related to Basis for a Plane that is given.

What is a basis for a plane?

A basis for a plane is a set of two linearly independent vectors that span the entire plane. This means that any point on the plane can be expressed as a linear combination of these two vectors.

How do you determine the basis for a plane?

To determine the basis for a plane, you can use the three-point form of the plane equation. This involves selecting three points on the plane and using them to create a system of linear equations. The two linearly independent solutions to this system will be the basis vectors for the plane.

What is the significance of a basis for a plane?

A basis for a plane is significant because it provides a way to describe and visualize the plane in terms of two simpler vectors. It also allows for easier calculations and transformations on the plane.

Can a plane have more than one basis?

Yes, a plane can have an infinite number of bases. As long as the two vectors are linearly independent and span the plane, they can serve as a basis.

How does a basis for a plane relate to the concept of linear independence?

A basis for a plane is made up of two linearly independent vectors. This means that neither vector can be expressed as a multiple of the other, and they are not on the same line. This is important because it ensures that the basis vectors are unique and can accurately describe the plane.