Basics to pursue meachanical engineering in college

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to begin studying mechanical and electronics engineering in college. They are specifically asking for recommendations on books or other resources, and what to do after mastering the basics. The two suggested sites for an introduction into post-secondary engineering school are Nptel and Freestudy.
blitz.km
Hi all,
I am sorry if I have posted this thread in the wrong region.

I am in 12th standard presently. I wish to pursue mechanical engineering in college.. mainly mechanical + electronics..
All i want to ask is where should i begin with? Which books(or any other source) should i refer to? And what after i am done with the basics?
I am really confused.
Please help! :confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
blitz.km said:
Hi all,
I am sorry if I have posted this thread in the wrong region.

I am in 12th standard presently. I wish to pursue mechanical engineering in college.. mainly mechanical + electronics..
All i want to ask is where should i begin with? Which books(or any other source) should i refer to? And what after i am done with the basics?
I am really confused.
Please help! :confused:

Math and Physics.

CS

Here are two useful sites for an introduction into post secondary engineering school:

http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses.php?branch=Mechanical"

http://www.freestudy.co.uk/"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Basics to pursue meachanical engineering in college

1. What subjects should I focus on in high school to prepare for a mechanical engineering degree?

The most important subjects to focus on in high school for mechanical engineering are math (including calculus and physics), science (especially physics and chemistry), and computer science. Additionally, taking any courses in drafting, design, or technology can also be beneficial.

2. Is it necessary to have strong math skills to pursue mechanical engineering in college?

Yes, math is a crucial component of mechanical engineering. A strong foundation in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus is necessary for success in college-level engineering courses.

3. What are some essential skills that I should have to excel in a mechanical engineering program?

In addition to strong math and science skills, it is important to have critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, creativity, attention to detail, and good communication skills. It is also helpful to have a strong knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. Are there any specific extracurricular activities or experiences that would be beneficial for a future mechanical engineer?

Participating in activities such as robotics clubs, engineering competitions, and internships in engineering-related fields can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you develop practical skills. Additionally, volunteering or shadowing a professional engineer can give you insight into the industry and help you determine if mechanical engineering is the right career path for you.

5. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in mechanical engineering?

A degree in mechanical engineering can lead to a wide range of job opportunities. Some common career paths for mechanical engineers include design and development, manufacturing, research and development, and consulting. Mechanical engineers can work in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, and consumer products.