Basic Question: Order of permutations in Sn

In summary, the conversation discusses the application and usefulness of knowing the order of a permutation belonging to the symmetric group Sn. It is mentioned that if σ^7 = I, then necessarily σ = I. The conversation then explores the property that shows either σ = I or S5 contains a cyclic group of order 7, and the use of basic number theory and Lagrange's Theorem to establish this. It is concluded that since σ7 = I, the order of <σ> is either 1 or 7, and since 7 does not divide the order of S5, <σ> must equal the identity, proving the desired conclusion.
ZZ Specs
Is there a theorem or any useful application for knowing the order of a permutation belonging to the symmetric group Sn?

For example,

Lets say σ is a permutation belonging to S5; i.e. σ is a permutation of {1,2,3,4,5}. If we are given that σ^7 = I (the identity permutation), then how can we show that necessarily σ = I ?

Thank you all for your time and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since 7 is prime this means either σ = id or S5 contains a cyclic group of order 7. The latter is impossible and so the desired conclusion follows.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated. Could you further explain what property shows that "either σ = id or S5 contains a cyclic group of order 7"?

Basic number theory. The order of σ must divide 7.

Is it valid to say that because σ is in S5, the order of sigma is at most 6?

That is true, but it takes more work to establish than the argument I sketched above.

In that case, why can we say that a cyclic group of order 7 is impossible? I was thinking that because σ lies in S5 (i.e. |σ| ≤ 6 ), σ^k must equal the identity for some k < 7.

Is there another way to establish this?

Thank you very much for all your help though!

Do you know Lagrange's Theorem?

I believe so, that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of its group. I know that <σ> is a group (all cyclic elements form groups, correct?), but do we have any other groups to compare in this situation? I'm not used to working with permutations, especially in view of groups.

In more detail: Since σ7 = id the order of <σ> is either 1 or 7. Since |S5| = 120 and 7 does not divide this number that means <σ> = {id}. Now the proof is done.

Last edited:

Related to Basic Question: Order of permutations in Sn

1. What is the formula for calculating the order of permutations in Sn?

The formula for calculating the order of permutations in Sn is n!, where n represents the number of elements in the permutation.

2. How do you determine the order of a specific permutation in Sn?

The order of a specific permutation in Sn can be determined by finding the length of the cycle decomposition of the permutation. The length of the longest cycle in the decomposition is equal to the order of the permutation.

3. Can the order of a permutation in Sn be greater than n?

No, the order of a permutation in Sn cannot be greater than n. This is because the maximum number of elements in a permutation in Sn is n, so the longest cycle in the permutation can only have a length of n.

4. Is the order of a permutation in Sn always an integer?

Yes, the order of a permutation in Sn is always an integer. This is because the order of a permutation is determined by the number of elements in the permutation, which is always a whole number.

5. Does the order of permutations in Sn follow a pattern?

Yes, the order of permutations in Sn follows a pattern. As the number of elements in the permutation increases, the order also increases according to the formula n!. Additionally, the order of permutations in Sn can never be less than the order of permutations in Sn-1.