Basic Measure Theory: Proving E in L(R)

In summary, basic measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with measuring sets and assigning numerical values to them. It has applications in probability theory, analysis, and topology, and can be used to define and study measures, integrals, and other important concepts. The notation "E in L(R)" is used to indicate a measurable set in the space of real numbers, and this can be proven by satisfying certain properties or constructing a measure. Some useful theorems in basic measure theory include the Monotone Convergence Theorem, Fatou's Lemma, and the Dominated Convergence Theorem.
snipez90

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]E \subset B[/itex] and [itex]B \in L(\mathbb{R})[/itex] (where L(R) denotes the family of Lebesgue measurable sets on the reals) with [itex]m(B) < \inf [/itex], then [itex]E \in L(\mathbb{R})[/itex] if and only if [itex]m(B) = m^{*}(E) + m^{*}(B - E)[/itex], where [itex]m^*[/itex] denotes the Lebesgue outer measure.

Homework Equations

Basic set theoretic manipulations.

The Attempt at a Solution

The forward direction follows by the definition of the outer measure. As for the reverse direction, we need to show that for any set A contained in the reals,
[tex]m(A) \geq m^{*}(A \cap E) + m^{*}(A - E)[/tex]
(the less than or equal direction follows from subaddivity).
I'm not really stuck at this point, but I'm wondering about my approach from here. I simply considered the three cases where A contains B, A is contained in B and contains E, and A is contained in E. I'm fairly certain this works out in each case as it should. This seems like a pretty straightforward approach, but is there a better way? I understand this isn't exactly the most interesting of problems but it helps me to know what other tools are available to me at this point. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach seems reasonable and straightforward. Another approach could be to use the fact that the Lebesgue outer measure is countably subadditive, meaning that for any countable collection of sets {A_n}, we have m^*(∪A_n) ≤ ∑m^*(A_n). This property can be used to show that m^*(A) ≥ m^*(A∩E) + m^*(A∩(B-E)) for any set A contained in the reals. From there, you could use basic set theoretic manipulations to show that this is equivalent to m(A) ≥ m^*(A∩E) + m^*(A-E). This approach may require a bit more technical work, but it is another way to approach the problem.

Related to Basic Measure Theory: Proving E in L(R)

1. What is basic measure theory?

Basic measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the concept of measuring sets and assigning numerical values to them. It is an essential tool in probability theory, analysis, and other areas of mathematics.

2. What does "E in L(R)" mean?

"E in L(R)" is a notation used in measure theory to indicate that a set E is measurable in the space of real numbers (R). This means that the set E can be assigned a measure or size that is finite or infinite, but not undefined.

3. How is E in L(R) proven?

E in L(R) is proven by showing that E satisfies the properties of a measurable set, including being closed under countable unions and intersections, and containing all null sets. It can also be proven by constructing a measure on the set E and showing that it satisfies the axioms of a measure.

4. What are the applications of basic measure theory?

Basic measure theory has applications in various fields of mathematics, such as probability theory, analysis, and topology. It is used to define and study measures, integrals, and various other concepts that are essential in these areas.

5. What are some useful theorems in basic measure theory?

Some commonly used theorems in basic measure theory include the Monotone Convergence Theorem, Fatou's Lemma, and the Dominated Convergence Theorem. These theorems help in proving properties and relationships between measures, integrals, and measurable sets.