Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017

• Challenge
  • Thread starter PF PotW Robot
  • Start date
In summary, The problem asks to minimize the fraction ##\frac{2x^3+1}{4y(x-y)}## given the constraints ##x\ge -\frac{1}{2}## and ##\frac{x}{y}>1##. Various methods and solutions are proposed, including using Wolfram, using derivatives, and using inequalities. It is found that the minimum value is 3, achieved when ##x=1## and ##y=1/2## or when ##x=-1/2## and ##y=-1/4##.
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's basic math problem. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Using spoiler tags is optional. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods.

Minimize ##\frac{2x^3+1}{4y(x-y)}## given ##x\ge -\frac{1}{2}## and ##\frac{x}{y}>1##

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Likes QuantumQuest and ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Introduce c with y=cx

This is interesting, wolfram(non Pro) can't solve it, it seems to crash reporting as global minimum a point where x=y (objective function is not defined/becomes infinite for x=y). Seems wolfram can't handle properly the infinities along the line y=x...

Last edited:
Ok following @mfb suggestion it becomes ##min\frac{2x^3+1}{4x^2c(1-c)}, x\geq-0.5, 0<c<1##.

Now if we proceed by first minimizing for x we get ##\frac{\partial f(x,c)}{\partial x}=0\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2c(1-c)}-\frac{1}{2c(1-c)x^3}=0## or ##x=1##

and then minimizing for c ##\frac{\partial f(1,c)}{\partial c}=0\Rightarrow \frac{3}{4}\frac{1-2c}{(c(1-c))^2}=0\Rightarrow c=0.5##, so the minimum is at ##x=1,y=cx=0.5##

BUT is this procedure right (does it give us the real minimum of the original problem?) I mean first to minimize as to x and then minimize as to c?
Probably this procedure isn't right for general objective functions and constraints but seems to work for this problem...

Last edited:
A derivative of zero is not the only way something can be minimal.

The choice of c makes the expression factorize (f(x,c)=g(x)*h(c)), and if you are careful with the sign you can minimize both factors separately.

my take:

based on constraints, we know x, y have the same sign. And the denominator is always positive. By inspection we see that even if ##-0.5 \leq x \lt 0##, the numerator is positive. We also know ##x \neq 0## (otherwise we can't satisfy ##\frac{x}{y} \gt 1##).

Thus we're trying to minimize a positive objective function.

- - - -
here's a sketch of a solution based on inequalities.

suppose we restrict our domain and consider only
##x \gt 0##
our objective function is minimized if and only if it's positive square root is, so we consider that easier problem instead. (Normally its the other way around!)
- - - -
goal minimize: ##\Big(\frac{2x^3+1}{4y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2}##

##\text{ObjectiveFunction}^\frac{1}{2} = \Big(\frac{2x^3+1}{4y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2} = \Big(3 \frac{\frac{1}{3}(2x^3+1)}{4y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2}##
- - - -
by ##AM\geq GM##, we know

##\frac{1}{3}(2x^3+1) = \frac{1}{3}(x^3 + x^3+1^3) \geq \big(x^3x^31^3\big)^\frac{1}{3} = x^2##
with equality iff ##x^3 = x^3 =1 ##

i.e. the only way to make this inequality not strict is if ##x = 1## which is legal, given our constraints
(it pays to keep an eye on sharpness of these inequalities as we go)
- - - -

##\text{ObjectiveFunction}^\frac{1}{2} = \Big(3 \frac{\frac{1}{3}(2x^3+1)}{4y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2} \geq \Big(3 \frac{x^2}{4y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \frac{ x}{y^\frac{1}{2}(x-y)^\frac{1}{2}}##
- - - -
now we'd like to maximize the value in the denominator, via applying ##AM \geq GM##:

##y^\frac{1}{2}(x-y)^\frac{1}{2} \geq \frac{1}{2}\big(y + (x - y)\big) = \frac{1}{2}x##

this inequality is an equality if and only if

##x - y = y##

i.e. ##x = 2y##.

Note this satisfies our constraint that ##\frac{x}{y} \gt 1##, and both ##y## and ##(x-y)## are positive, which satisfies conditions for ##AM \geq GM##
- - - -
this gives us

##\text{ObjectiveFunction}^\frac{1}{2} \geq \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \frac{ x}{y^\frac{1}{2}(x-y)^\frac{1}{2}} \geq \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \frac{ x}{\frac{1}{2}x} = 2\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \frac{ x}{x} = \sqrt{3} ##

thus we have

##\text{ObjectiveFunction}^\frac{1}{2} \geq \sqrt{3}##
aka

##\text{ObjectiveFunction} \geq 3##

with equality iff

##x = 1##

and

## 1 = x = 2y##

i.e. ## y =\frac{1}{2}##

- - - -

edit:
it seems that there is a matching score in bottom left quadrant.

to finish this off and address bottom left quadrant, with similar approach to the above:

taking advantage of positivity while working in the bottom left quadrant i.e. where ##0\gt y \gt x \geq -0.5## :

min ##\text{ObjectiveFunction}^\frac{1}{2} = \Big(\frac{2x^3+1}{4y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2}= \Big(\frac{1}{4}\frac{2x^3+1}{y(x-y)}\Big)^\frac{1}{2} = \Big(\frac{1}{2}\frac{\big(2x^3+1\big)^\frac{1}{2}}{(-y)^\frac{1}{2}(y-x)^\frac{1}{2}}\Big) \geq \Big(\frac{1}{2}\frac{\big( 2x^3+1\big)^\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{1}{2} (-y + y - x)}\Big) = \Big(\frac{1}{2}\frac{\big(2x^3+1\big)^\frac{1}{2}}{\frac{1}{2} (-x)}\Big)##

with equality conditions of

##-y = y - x##

i.e. ##2y = x##

and confirming that ##-y \gt 0## and ##(y-x) \gt 0##

while messy, the above is now a single variable problem that can be simplified and solved

i.e. (recalling our domain restrictions) we could also square the above

and look at minimizing

##g(x) = \frac{ 2x^3 + 1}{x^2} ##

which we know is always positive (because the objective function is), and if we differentiate it once, we see ##g'(x) = 2 - \frac{2}{x^3} \gt 0## for ##x \lt 0##, i.e. the curve slopes up over our domain. (We could also note that the positive solution evaluates to 0 when x = 1.)

If we differentiate it twice, we see that ##g''(x) = \frac{6}{x^4} \gt 0## for any ##x \neq 0## confirming convexity. This means the upward sloping tangent line at ##x = -0.5## is a lower bound on the function in our domain i.e. we can only increase the value of the function as x increases / goes to the right of ##-0.5##. We could perhaps decrease the value ##g(x)## by going to the left, but we have a constraint that ##x \geq -0.5##. This explains the other way of achieving the minimum value of 3, in the bottom left quadrant with ##f(-0.5, -0.25)##

Last edited:
Here's my go at it. I haven't read any of the other solutions, and given that I only know high school math, I doubt they'd do me much good anyway.

Because of the constraints on ##x##, we know the numerator is greater than zero. Because the absolute value of ##x## is greater than the absolute value of ##y##, and ##x/y > 1##, we know that the denominator also is greater than zero.

Consider only the denominator. For any value of ##x##, the value of ##y## that maximizes ##4xy - 4y^2## is ##y = x/2##. (Treat the denominator as a quadratic with ##x## as a constant.) Sine ##y## only appears in the denominator, this is the value of ##y## which will minimize the function.

We then have the fraction as a function of ##x##.

##f(x) = \frac {2x^3 + 1}{x^2}
= 2x + \frac {1}{x^2}##

Minimizing this function gives us a value of ##x = 1##. Thus ##y = 1/2##.

##\frac {2x^3 + 1}{4y(x-y)} = 3##

The minimum is 3.

EDIT: Hey! Looks like I got it right using only high school calculus. :biggrin:

Likes QuantumQuest, Delta2 and fresh_42
PetSounds said:
Minimizing this function gives us a value of ##x=1##
While that is a minimum, it is not the only one.

Likes PetSounds
mfb said:
While that is a minimum, it is not the only one.

Right. Because of the restriction on ##x##, there's also a minimum at ##x = -1/2##. Which means ##y = -1/4## and, again, the original fraction is equal to 3.

Likes fresh_42
mfb said:
A derivative of zero is not the only way something can be minimal.

The choice of c makes the expression factorize (f(x,c)=g(x)*h(c)), and if you are careful with the sign you can minimize both factors separately.

That factorization might explain why minimizing first with respect to x and then with respect to c works. But anyway I think the procedure of successive minimization is correct as long as each minimum exists. (@PetSounds also in post #7 does successive minimization , first minimizes wrt y and then wrt x). But it might be the case (depending on the form of the objective function and the constraints) that these minimums/maximums don't exist, however the "combined" extreme exists.

Delta² said:
That factorization might explain why minimizing first with respect to x and then with respect to c works. But anyway I think the procedure of successive minimization is correct as long as each minimum exists. (@PetSounds also in post #7 does successive minimization , first minimizes wrt y and then wrt x). But it might be the case (depending on the form of the objective function and the constraints) that these minimums/maximums don't exist, however the "combined" extreme exists.

I'm still in high school, so forgive me if I'm repeating or misunderstanding you---a lot of this goes over my head. The reason the successive minimization works in this case is that the original fraction is always positive and ##y## only appears in the denominator. Thus we can simply find the optimum value of ##y## (in terms of ##x##) by maximizing the denominator, without regard for the numerator. If ##y## appeared in the numerator, or if the constraints on the variables allowed for both positive and negative values of the fraction, my method wouldn't work (at least, not as cleanly).

PetSounds said:
I'm still in high school, so forgive me if I'm repeating or misunderstanding you---a lot of this goes over my head. The reason the successive minimization works in this case is that the original fraction is always positive and ##y## only appears in the denominator. Thus we can simply find the optimum value of ##y## (in terms of ##x##) by maximizing the denominator, without regard for the numerator. If ##y## appeared in the numerator, or if the constraints on the variables allowed for both positive and negative values of the fraction, my method wouldn't work (at least, not as cleanly).
Don't worry you are not repeating me, your ideas in post #7 were original, I just think (cant find a proof yet) that successively minimizing gives correct solutions (regardless if the y was appearing in the numerator or if the fraction had positive and negative values and all that) as long as we can correctly find the separate minimums and as long these minimums exist. That's all. ( I ll just have to find and look at my course notes on mathematical programming long ago (20 years) when I was student at university...)

Related to Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017

1. What is the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017"?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017" is a weekly math problem that is posted on a specific date (12/17/2017) for individuals to solve. It is designed to test basic math skills and promote critical thinking.

2. Where can I find the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017"?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017" can be found on various online platforms, such as educational websites or social media pages. It may also be posted in physical locations, such as schools or libraries.

3. Who can participate in the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017"?

Anyone can participate in the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017". It is open to all ages and skill levels, and is a fun way for individuals to challenge themselves and improve their math abilities.

4. What is the purpose of the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017"?

The purpose of the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017" is to promote and improve basic math skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities. It also encourages individuals to engage in a fun and challenging activity.

5. Are there any rewards for solving the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017"?

The rewards for solving the "Basic Math Problem of the Week 12/17/2017" may vary depending on the platform or organization hosting it. Some may offer prizes or recognition for individuals who solve the problem correctly, while others may simply provide the satisfaction of solving a challenging math problem.