Basic Calculus Questions - polar integration and roots

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with two problems in calculus - one involving finding the antiderivative of a function, and the other involving finding the zeroes of a function. They have a review sheet but are still struggling and are looking for additional resources or guidance. They have tried solving the problems algebraically but are wondering if there is a different approach using calculus. They also mention that they have stopped working on the problems for the time being.
perihelion
It's been a while since I studied calculus and basically I have a review sheet for a course I'm taking, but not a graded assignment. So, I was hoping if anyone knew a resource to point me in the right direction with a couple of problems:

[tex]
\int_0^\theta x^a dx
[/tex]

Where a is not an element of the set {0, -1} and theta > 0. I'm going over my old calculus text but still at a loss as to how to set this problem up, but maybe I'm making it more difficult than it is.

Also, I had a question involving finding real values of x such that a given function is 0, and justifying my answer. I just did this algebraically, but was wondering if there was another way that I've forgotten using calculus:

[tex]
f(x) = x^2\ +\ 2*x\ +\ 2
[/tex]
[tex]
(x+1)*(x+1)+1 = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
(x+1)^2 = -1
[/tex]
[tex]
x = -1 - i, -1 + i
[/tex]

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mark44 said:
The antiderivative of xa is 1/(a + 1) xa + 1.

Thanks, but I was feeling that maybe I was overlooking something. At this point I just stopped.

[tex]

\int_0^\theta x^a dx\ =\ (\theta^(a+1))/(a\ +\ 1)

[/tex]

perihelion said:
Thanks, but I was feeling that maybe I was overlooking something. At this point I just stopped.

[tex]

\int_0^\theta x^a dx\ =\ (\theta^(a+1))/(a\ +\ 1)

[/tex]
I think you meant this as [itex]\theta^{a + 1}/(a + 1)[/itex]
but it didn't quite come out that way.

For your other problem, find the zeroes of f(x) = x2 + 2x + 2, the algebraic (as opposed to calculus) way is one way to go. In fact, calculus is not really appropriate for this type of problem.

f(x) = x2 + 2x + 2 = x2 + 2x + 1 + 1 = (x + 1)2 + 1

The squared term is always >= 0, so adding 1 gives a value that is always >= 1, hence there are no real values for which f(x) = 0.

Looking at this graphically, the function's graph is a parabola that opens up, and whose vertex is at (-1, 1). Since the vertex is the lowest point on the graph, and it is above the x-axis, there are no values of x for which f(x) is less than or equal to zero.

Related to Basic Calculus Questions - polar integration and roots

1. What is polar integration and how is it different from regular integration?

Polar integration is a method of integrating a function that is expressed in polar coordinates. In regular integration, the function is expressed in rectangular coordinates. The main difference is that polar coordinates use a radius and angle to locate a point, while rectangular coordinates use x and y coordinates.

2. How do you perform polar integration?

To perform polar integration, you first need to convert the function from polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates. Then, you can use the regular integration rules to solve the integral. Once the integral is solved, you can convert the answer back to polar coordinates if necessary.

3. What are the common uses of polar integration?

Polar integration is commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in problems involving circular or spherical objects. It can also be used to find the area or volume of irregular shapes that cannot be easily expressed in rectangular coordinates.

4. What is the difference between finding roots and finding zeros of a function?

Finding roots and finding zeros of a function are essentially the same thing. Both refer to finding the value(s) of the independent variable that make the function equal to zero. However, finding roots is a more general term that can refer to any type of function, while finding zeros specifically refers to polynomial functions.

5. Is there a specific method for finding roots of a polynomial function?

Yes, there is a specific method called the "factor theorem" for finding roots of a polynomial function. This method involves factoring the polynomial and setting each factor equal to zero to solve for the roots. There are also other methods such as the Rational Root Theorem and the Descartes' Rule of Signs that can be used to find roots of polynomial functions.