Basic algebra ex. prob., can't work out a step

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a math problem involving fractions and cross-multiplication. The student is struggling with understanding the "diagonal rule" but is guided to simplify the problem by combining fractions before using cross-multiplication. Eventually, the student is able to solve the problem using the quadratic formula.
fisixfred

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I'm not in school, but I am self-studying because I'm helping tutor relatives of mine. The book says at this point, "apply the diagonal rule". I just need a pointer, because I don't know where to go from here. The book contains the answer, and I understand the rest of the steps, but this one step, my solutions are no such thing, so I'm embarassed to try and put them down!
[itex]

\frac{34} {m} - \frac{1}{2} = \frac{34*4}{4m+1}
\\
gives
\\

68 + 271m - 4m^2 = 272m
[/itex]

I try fiddling with the top eq., I can't make it work into the bottom.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
fisixfred said:

Homework Statement

Hi all,

I'm not in school, but I am self-studying because I'm helping tutor relatives of mine. The book says at this point, "apply the diagonal rule". I just need a pointer, because I don't know where to go from here. The book contains the answer, and I understand the rest of the steps, but this one step, my solutions are no such thing, so I'm embarassed to try and put them down!
I've never heard it called the diagonal rule, but this is what I think they're hinting at:

The equation ##\frac{a}{b} = \frac{c}{d}## is equivalent to ad = bc.

fisixfred said:
[itex]

\\
gives
\\

68 + 271m - 4m^2 = 272m
[/itex]

Homework Equations

Combine 34/m and -1/2 into a single fraction, and then use what I wrote above. The least common denominator for the two fractions is 2m. Multiply the first fraction by 1 in the form of 2/2, and multiply the second fraction by 1 in the form of m/m. When you combine the two terms, you'll have a single fraction on the left side.

fisixfred said:

Homework Statement

Hi all,

[itex]

\\
gives
\\

68 + 271m - 4m^2 = 272m
[/itex]

Homework Equations

Welcome to the PF.

The first thing I would do is put the lefthand side (LHS) over a common denominator. Do you see how to do that?

Then use "cross multiplication" to get rid of the fractions on both sides of the = sign. If you multiply both sides of an equation by the same quantity, the two sides are still equal, right?

So if I have this equation:

[tex]\frac{A}{B} = \frac{C}{D}[/tex]

Then I can multiply both sides of the equation by the same thing:

[tex](B*D)\frac{A}{B} = (B*D)\frac{C}{D}[/tex]

And then simplifying:

A*D = B*C

So the net effect is the same as if you took the denominator from the LHS up to the RHS numerator, and the denominator from the RHS and brought it up to the numerator of the LHS, and got rid of the denominators on both sides. That's where the term "cross-multiply" comes from.

Make sesnse?

EDIT -- Beat out by the fast-typing Mark44 again! :smile:

OK, thanks for the hints, I'm going to work it out and come back and show my work.

ok, worked it out

For completions sake, I'mi posting to show I got past my algebra brain-freeze ;)

1st combine 34/m and -1/2 into a single fraction. This is where I was messing up, by not first doing this, but rather multiplying all sides by all the denominators save the one I was on. I was making it more complicated than it had to be. So, combining the lefthand side (LHS) yields:

(68 - m)/2m

then multiply both sides with ((4m+1)(2m))/1

2m cancels on the lefthand side and 4m+1 cancels on the righthand side, yields:

LHS
(4m + 1) (68 - m) = 68 - m + (-4m**2) + 272m = -4m^2 + 271m + 68

RHS
(2m)(134) = 272m

so we have:
-4m^2 + 271m + 68 = 272m ## subtract 271 and 68 from both sides
-4m^2 - m = -68 ## divide both sides by -4
m^2 + m = 17
m^2 + m -17 = 0
## now we can solve the 2nd degree polynomial w/ quadratic formula

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, btw, which got me back on the right track to understand the work to solve the problem.

Related to Basic algebra ex. prob., can't work out a step

1. How can I improve my understanding of basic algebra?

To improve your understanding of basic algebra, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller steps and using visual aids or real-life examples to better comprehend the concepts.

2. What should I do if I can't work out a step in an algebraic problem?

If you are stuck on a step in an algebraic problem, try re-reading the instructions or asking a classmate or teacher for help. You can also look for similar problems online and see how they are solved.

3. How do I know which algebraic formula to use?

To determine which algebraic formula to use, carefully read the problem and identify what information is given and what is being asked for. Then, use your knowledge of algebraic rules and formulas to determine the appropriate equation to use.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in basic algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in basic algebra include not following the correct order of operations, making careless errors in calculations, and forgetting to distribute or combine like terms. It is also important to check your work and make sure your final answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I prepare for a basic algebra exam?

To prepare for a basic algebra exam, make sure you have a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts and formulas. Practice solving a variety of problems and seek help if you are struggling with any specific topics. It is also important to review your notes and previous assignments to refresh your memory.