Baseball Velocity and Components: Solving for Final Velocity and Height

• Thread starter Tycho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a baseball being struck by a bat and caught 30m away after 3 seconds. The questions ask for the final velocity, angle, greatest height, and X and Y components of the initial velocity. The speaker suggests using the time and distance to determine the initial speed, and also mentions considering the horizontal component of the initial velocity. They also mention that the ball's actual travel distance may be more than 30m and that its initial speed must be greater than 30 m/s. The conversation also references a website with information on the fastest pitchers in baseball and suggests using a speed of 10 m/s as a possible safe assumption.
Tycho
I'm not quite sure how to get started on this problem...

a baseball is struck by a bat, and 3 seconds later it is caught 30m away.

now the questions ask for it's final velocity, it's angle as it left the bat, the greatest height it reached, and the X and Y components of it's velocity as it was hit.
all of these things i can do if i had the speed of the ball initially. is it safe to assume that it is traveling at 10 m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
to find the X component of the initial velocity use v=d/t for the whole loop. To find the Y component of the initial velocity use V(final)-V(initial)=gt for half of the loop. I said half of the loop because you're looking at the velocity when the ball goes up in the air so that would take 1.5 seconds and on top the velocity is 0. After that, use vector addition to find the initial starting velocity and the angle.

I took a look at this website:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/fastest-pitcher-in-baseball.shtml

There is a list of the fastest pitchers in baseball. The speed range is 100-103 mph. So, let's consider a 100 mph pitch. We have

[tex] 100 \frac{\mbox{miles}}{\mbox{hour}} \left( \frac{1,609.3 \mbox{ m}}{1 \mbox{ mile}} \right) \left( \frac{1 \mbox{ hour}}{3600 \mbox{ s}} \right) \approx 44.7 \frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}} [/tex]

You're probably safe with [tex] v_i \leq 44.7 \frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}} [/tex].

A [tex]10 \frac{\mbox{m}}{\mbox{s}} [/tex] pitch is slow, but you can use it.

Tycho said:
I'm not quite sure how to get started on this problem...

a baseball is struck by a bat, and 3 seconds later it is caught 30m away.

now the questions ask for it's final velocity, it's angle as it left the bat, the greatest height it reached, and the X and Y components of it's velocity as it was hit.
all of these things i can do if i had the speed of the ball initially. is it safe to assume that it is traveling at 10 m/s?

If you take advantage of the fact that you know how long it flew, you should be able to determine the intial speed of the ball. In fact, since you're ignoring air resistance, it's the same as the final speed.

Perhaps you can figure out what the horizonal component of the ball's inital velocity.

P.S. Since the ball goes up and down during it's flight, it's traveling more than 30 meters. Since it's traveling more than 30 meters in 3 seconds, it's got to have started with a speed of more than 30 meters per second.

Related to Baseball Velocity and Components: Solving for Final Velocity and Height

What does "probably a stupid question" mean?

The phrase "probably a stupid question" is often used as a way to preface a question that the speaker thinks might be obvious or silly. It is usually meant to acknowledge that the speaker is aware that the question may seem foolish, but they still want to ask it in order to get clarification or understanding.

Why do people say "probably a stupid question" before asking a question?

This phrase is often used as a way to show humility or self-awareness. By saying "probably a stupid question," the speaker is acknowledging that they may not know the answer and are open to being corrected or educated. It can also be a way to diffuse any potential awkwardness or tension in asking a question that may seem obvious or silly.

Is there such a thing as a stupid question?

While some questions may seem obvious or silly, there is no such thing as a truly stupid question. Asking questions is an important part of learning and gaining knowledge, and there is no shame in not knowing something. It is always better to ask a question and learn something new than to stay quiet and remain ignorant.

How should I respond if someone says "probably a stupid question"?

If someone prefaces a question with "probably a stupid question," it is important to remember that they are asking in good faith and are open to learning. You can respond by acknowledging their question and providing a helpful answer. Avoid making them feel embarrassed or belittled for asking a question that may seem obvious to you.

Should I ever use the phrase "probably a stupid question"?

While some people may find this phrase helpful in acknowledging that their question may seem obvious or silly, it is generally better to avoid using it. This phrase can sometimes have a negative connotation and may make the person asking the question feel self-conscious. Instead, simply ask your question without prefacing it and trust that the person you are asking will be understanding and helpful in their response.