Baseball: The most unlikely World Series ever?

In summary, the Chicago Cubs have just won the National League championship, and will play in the World Series for the first time since 1945. They last won the Series in 1908.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The Chicago Cubs have just won the National League championship, and will play in the World Series for the first time since 1945. They last won the Series in 1908.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/22/us/chicago-cubs-world-series-bid/index.html

Normally, I would be delighted to cheer them on, but their opponents will be my "hometown" team, the Cleveland Indians, who have not won the Series since 1948, although they have played in it (and lost) three times since then: 1954, 1995 and 1997.

The Cubs and the Indians have the two longest World Series victory "droughts": 118 and 68 years respectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cubs fan Loretta Dolan has been waiting a while for the Cubs to get to the World Series.

http://abc7chicago.com/sports/102-year-old-cubs-fan-still-keeps-score-of-every-game/1542887/
CHICAGO (WLS) -- http://abc7chicago.com/sports/102-year-old-cubs-fan-still-keeps-score-of-every-game/1542887/
One of the Cubs' biggest fans - and one of their oldest - is Loretta Dolan. At 102 years old, her knowledge of the game is remarkable and her loyalty to the Cubs is unmatched.

Last year (CBS, 2015) — When Loretta Dolan attended her first Cubs game at Wrigley Field, a trip on the bus from her home was 7 cents.
Behind The Plate: 101-Year-Old Cubs Fan Hopes This Is ‘The Year’
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/19/behind-the-plate-101-year-old-fan-hopes-this-is-the-year/Another long time fan, Virginia Wood, who will celebrate hare 102nd birthday next month.
http://www.npr.org/2016/10/21/49885...n-hopes-beloved-team-grants-her-birthday-wish

Any team can have a bad century.

Likes phinds, Sophia, CalcNerd and 1 other person
My dad's a 73 year old Cubs fan, so he's been waiting a while for this...

Likes mheslep
The outcome will be exciting no matter who wins. Good to see some other teams winning the series than have the same team dominate. I've seen enough giants victories for quite a while.

I hope the cubs lose in the most heart breaking way. Sorry I'm a brewers fan :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry I'm a brewers fan

Don't worry. If they work really hard, next year they might finish above .500! At least they found a league that will keep them.

jtbell said:
The Cubs and the Indians have the two longest World Series victory "droughts": 118 and 68 years respectively.
What about franchises that have never won? Don't they have an effective infinite drought?

I'm rooting for the Cubs in this one, since Cleveland eliminated my beloved Jays. And Save Ferris! :wink:

Likes Mondayman and StatGuy2000
DrClaude said:
What about franchises that have never won? Don't they have an effective infinite drought?
I'd start the clock when they were founded. Hmmm, let's see...

Seattle Mariners, 1977 (39 years)
Washington Nationals (former Montreal Expos), 1969 (47 years)

Interestingly, the GM (Theo Epstein) and manager (Terry Francona) of the last team to end an infamous championship drought (the 2004 Boston Red Sox) are on opposite sides of this matchup; Epstein is President of Baseball Operations for the Cubs and Francona is manager for Cleveland.

jtbell said:
I'd start the clock when they were founded. Hmmm, let's see...

Seattle Mariners, 1977 (39 years)
Washington Nationals (former Montreal Expos), 1969 (47 years)
On that measure, ok. The longest drought is then the Texas Rangers/Washington Senators (1961), see http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/8-mlb-teams-that-have-never-won-the-world-series.html/?a=viewall, so much shorter than the current contestants.

Ah, OK, I was looking at the teams that have never been in the Series at all.

Oh wow. Game 7. Indians score 3 runs in the 8th inning to tie it. No score in the 9th so we go to extra innings.

But now it's raining so the game has been suspended before starting the 10th inning...

Well. That didn't last long. The Cubs are batting first in the 10th...

Augh! A single, an intentional walk, a single (scoring a run),another intentional walk (huh?),another single (scoring another run).

Bases loaded, one out, Cubs ahead by two.

Barring a miracle when the Indians come to bat, the game is effectively over.

jtbell said:
Augh! A single, an intentional walk, a single (scoring a run),another intentional walk (huh?),another single (scoring another run).

Bases loaded, one out, Cubs ahead by two.

Barring a miracle when the Indians come to bat, the game is effectively over.

Cleveland needs a miracle.

Edit: Davis, well played clutch.

Two outs, a walk, a single (scoring a run)! Can they get one more run to keep it alive?

Nope. :(

Nope. Ground ball out, Cubs win 8-7.

So I have to wait some more. Congrats to the Cubs anyway, they've been waiting longer.

Maybe the Indians will finally do it in my lifetime...

jtbell said:
Nope. Ground ball out, Cubs win 8-7.

So I have to wait some more. Congrats to the Cubs anyway, they've been waiting longer.

Maybe the Indians will finally do it in my lifetime...

Was a good game at any rate, even if the Cubs did win. :p

Agreed. That was a game (and series) for the ages.

Barbecued goat, anyone? :cool:

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50 and DrClaude
Cubs win! Cubs win! Cubs win! :partytime:

Likes mheslep
Greg Bernhardt said:
I hope the cubs lose in the most heart breaking way.

Well, you didn't get your wish. Despite 3 errors and a questionable bunt decision.

Likes mheslep
Vanadium 50 said:
Well, you didn't get your wish. Despite 3 errors and a questionable bunt decision.
And a near disastrous pitching decision in game 6. I expected that to come back to bite them.

Joe Maddon gets a lot of grief for some decisions that are a bit risky. And some of them do turn out badly - or at least look like they are about to. But often they do work (and then there is silence). The Cubs' record indicates that on the whole, the risks are working out.

Likes mheslep

Related to Baseball: The most unlikely World Series ever?

What is "Baseball: The most unlikely World Series ever"?

"Baseball: The most unlikely World Series ever" is a book written by scientist and author Dr. Michael J. Ryan, which explores the 2020 Major League Baseball season and World Series that took place during the COVID-19 pandemic.

What makes this World Series the most unlikely?

This World Series is considered the most unlikely because it was played during a global pandemic, with shortened seasons and new safety protocols in place. Many teams had to adapt to playing in empty stadiums and deal with players testing positive for COVID-19.

What topics are covered in the book?

The book covers a variety of topics related to the 2020 baseball season, including the impact of the pandemic on the sport, the challenges faced by teams and players, and the historic win by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

What makes this book stand out from other sports books?

This book stands out because it provides a unique perspective from a scientist's point of view, analyzing the data and statistics behind the most unlikely World Series in history. It also delves into the psychological and emotional effects of playing a sport during a global crisis.

Is this book suitable for non-sports fans?

Yes, this book is suitable for non-sports fans as it goes beyond the game of baseball and delves into the societal and cultural impact of the pandemic on the sport. It also offers insights into teamwork, resilience, and adapting to unexpected challenges that can be applied to any field of interest.