BaseBall Question (Momentum & Impulse in 2 dimensions)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the impulse and average net force of a baseball after being struck by a bat. The directions are set as positive for East and North, with the initial velocity of the ball being 32.0 m/s [E] and the final velocity being 52.0 m/s [W 20 N]. There is confusion about the calculations and directions, but it is determined that impulse is equal to the change in momentum and net force is equal to the change in momentum divided by the change in time. Both impulse and net force are calculated for both the x and y dimensions.
HarleyM

Homework Statement

a baseball with a mass of 0.152 kg is moving horizontally at 32.0 m/s [E] when it is struck by a bat for 0.00200 seconds. The velocity of the ball just after the collision is 52.0 m/s [W 20 N]

a) Find the impulse experienced by the ball
b) find the average net force of the ball

Homework Equations

FnetΔT=M(V2-V1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused between impulse and net force first of all.. I think I calculated both but I am unsure, Also I am unsure about which directions I should set at positive and negative,

I set East and North as positive

Fnetx(0.002)=(0.152)((-)52cos20-32) ( 52 is negative in this case since movement in x direction is towards W?)

Fnet= - 6145.36, negative so [W]

Fnety(0.002)=(0.152)(52sin20-0) ( 52 is positive here since i set north to = positive)

Fnet=1351.28 N

I make the triangle with my components and solve for hypotenuse through pythag. = 6292.17 ∅= W 12.4° N

IS the hypotenuse equal to net force and the components equal to impulse?
DO my directions and calculations look correct?

Thank you everyone who takes the time to read this and make an attempt at helping me !

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all: Impulse is momentum. Momentum is a vector quantity
Force is rate of change of momentum ie change in momentum (or impulse) per second

I guess you can't help with regards to math and setting positive and negative directions?

That seems to be where most of my confusion is coming from.. Thank you for clearing up momentum and force for me though!

If I change my directions for certain things the numbers can change drastically so its quite confusing..

thanks again!

BUMP

I didn't get full marks for this question,

Where exactly do I calculate impulse..

Is it

FnetΔt=M(V1-V2)
FnetΔt=answer for impulse ?

and net force is equal to Fnet= answer for net force?

Would impulse in this case be equal to

ΔPx=(Fnetx)(Δt)
ΔPy=(Fnety)(Δt)

SO I have an impulse in the x and y dimensions?

Can someone please shed some light for me!

Related to BaseBall Question (Momentum & Impulse in 2 dimensions)

1. What is momentum in baseball?

Momentum in baseball refers to the quantity of motion possessed by a player or an object, such as a ball, in a specific direction. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the player or object by its velocity.

2. How does momentum affect a baseball's trajectory?

Momentum plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of a baseball. The higher the momentum of the ball, the harder it is to change its direction. This is why pitchers aim to throw fastballs with high momentum to make it difficult for batters to hit the ball.

3. How is impulse related to baseball?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a specific period of time. In baseball, this can be observed when a hitter swings the bat and makes contact with the ball. The impulse from the bat hitting the ball causes a change in the ball's momentum, sending it in a different direction.

4. What factors can affect momentum in a baseball game?

Several factors can affect momentum in a baseball game, including the speed of the ball, the mass of the ball, and the angle at which it is thrown or hit. Other factors such as air resistance and the surface of the playing field can also affect momentum.

5. How can the principles of momentum and impulse be applied to improve baseball performance?

Understanding the principles of momentum and impulse can help players and coaches make strategic decisions to improve their performance. For example, pitchers can use their knowledge of momentum to throw pitches with varying speeds and angles to confuse batters. Hitters can also use the principles of impulse to adjust their swing to hit the ball with more force and accuracy.