Ball thrown upwards: Acceleration and Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework question about a baseball being thrown upwards. The question asks if there is a point on the trajectory where the ball has zero velocity or acceleration. The conversation also mentions the equations for velocity, acceleration, and force, as well as the fact that the ball's velocity decreases and acceleration stays constant due to gravity. The main struggle is explaining the concept of zero velocity and acceleration in words. Finally, the conversation concludes by thanking for any help provided.
helloimsam
Hello, all! I was searching online for help w/ my Physics homework and I stumbled upon this website. New member here (:

1. Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown directly upwards.
a. Is there a point on the trajectory where the ball has zero velocity? Explain.
b. Is there a point on the trajectory where the ball has zero acceleration? Explain.

Homework Equations

velocity = displacement/time
acceleration = velocity/time
force = mass x acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've gotten to the point where I've figured that the velocity is constantly decreasing due to the force of gravity, and that the acceleration is negative and also stays constant. However, I'm really struggling in answering the question pertaining to points of ZERO v/a and putting this in words (that actually make sense). Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What goes up must come down.

What happens to the ball when it stops going up?

Related to Ball thrown upwards: Acceleration and Velocity

1. What is the initial velocity of a ball thrown upwards?

The initial velocity of a ball thrown upwards is the speed at which the ball leaves the hand. It is typically denoted by the variable v0 and is measured in meters per second (m/s).

2. How does acceleration affect the motion of a ball thrown upwards?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and it affects the motion of a ball thrown upwards by constantly changing the ball's velocity. When the ball is thrown upwards, it experiences a downward acceleration due to the force of gravity. This causes the ball to slow down until it reaches its maximum height, and then it starts to accelerate downwards until it reaches the ground.

3. What is the value of acceleration for a ball thrown upwards?

The value of acceleration for a ball thrown upwards is approximately 9.8 m/s2, which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. This value can vary slightly depending on the location and altitude.

4. How does air resistance affect the acceleration and velocity of a ball thrown upwards?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It affects the acceleration and velocity of a ball thrown upwards by decreasing the acceleration and velocity of the ball. As the ball moves upwards, it experiences air resistance, which slows it down. This means that the ball will not reach the same maximum height as it would without air resistance.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity for a ball thrown upwards?

The relationship between acceleration and velocity for a ball thrown upwards is that acceleration affects the change in velocity. As the ball moves upwards, it experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity, which causes a decrease in the ball's velocity. Once the ball reaches its maximum height, the acceleration changes direction and becomes a deceleration, causing the ball to increase in velocity as it moves downwards.