Ball suspended in a horizontal electric field

In summary, a table tennis ball with a mass of 10g and a charge of 0.04 micro Coulombs is suspended at the end of a fine thread 25cm long and placed in a horizontal electric field. The field causes the ball's center to move 1.5cm to one side of a vertical line through the point of suspension. To find the force on the ball, the formula for electric force F=kq(1)q(2)/d^2 can be used. The magnitude of the electric field can also be calculated using the formula E=F/q. The force of gravity, which is downward, is not negligible and must be balanced by the vertical component of the tension in the thread. A diagram
cdriscoll
A table tennis ball of mass 10g carries a charge of 0.04 micro Coulombs. It is suspended at the end of a rine threa 25cm long and placed in a horiztonal electric field. The effect of the field is to move the ball's centre 1.5cm to on side of a vertical line through the point of suspension.

What is the force on the tennis ball?

What is the magnitutde of the electric field?

I'm not even sure how to start this one so any help would be really appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for the electric force on a charge q due to an electric field E?

F= k q(1) q(2) / d^2 ?

cdriscoll said:
F= k q(1) q(2) / d^2 ?
That's the magnitude of the force one charge exerts on another.

The question asked by grzz was

"What is the formula for the electric force on a charge q due to an electric field E? "

E=F/q ?

cdriscoll said:
E=F/q ?
Good enough.

How much is the force of gravity, which is downward. ?

9.8m/s/s...?

I'm really sorry I've been taking ages to reply I am so busy, but my assignment is due tomorrow so I'm screwed anyways... thanks for trying sorry I am so bad at physics :( if you still want to try and explain though that would be good i just might be slow replying, school starts tomorrow

Now check whether the gravitational force is negligible compared with the electric force.

cdriscoll said:
9.8m/s/s...?

I'm really sorry I've been taking ages to reply I am so busy, but my assignment is due tomorrow so I'm screwed anyways... thanks for trying sorry I am so bad at physics :( if you still want to try and explain though that would be good i just might be slow replying, school starts tomorrow
That's the acceleration due to gravity, g. The force due to gravity is the weight = mg .

The force due to gravity (the weight) is downward. You are given the mass, so you can calculate this.

The electric field is horizontal, so is the electric force.

The tension in the fine thread must cancel both of these. The tension (also a force) is along the same direction as the thread.

grzz said:
Now check whether the gravitational force is negligible compared with the electric force.

I am revising my one suggestion.

The weight CANNOT be negligible because the weight must balance teh vertical component of the tension.

A diagram IS ALWAYS HELPFUL.

Try finding the components of the weight in the verical and in the horizontal.

Related to Ball suspended in a horizontal electric field

1. What is a ball suspended in a horizontal electric field?

A ball suspended in a horizontal electric field refers to a physical demonstration in which a charged object, such as a metal ball, is held in place by an electric field that is oriented horizontally. This demonstration is often used to illustrate the effects of electric fields on charged objects.

2. How is a ball suspended in a horizontal electric field possible?

The ball is suspended in the electric field due to the interaction between the charges on the ball and the electric field. The electric field exerts a force on the ball, causing it to be suspended and remain in place.

3. What are the factors that affect the stability of a ball suspended in a horizontal electric field?

The stability of a ball suspended in a horizontal electric field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the charge on the ball, and the distance between the ball and the electric field source. Additionally, external factors such as air currents and vibrations can also influence the stability of the suspension.

4. How does the orientation of the electric field affect the suspension of the ball?

The orientation of the electric field plays a crucial role in the suspension of the ball. If the electric field is not horizontal, the ball will not be suspended and will instead move in the direction of the field. To maintain a stable suspension, the electric field must be oriented horizontally, perpendicular to the direction of gravity.

5. What is the significance of a ball suspended in a horizontal electric field in science?

Ball suspended in a horizontal electric field is a popular demonstration used in physics classrooms to illustrate the principles of electric fields and their effects on charged objects. It is also used in research and engineering to study the behavior of charged particles in electric fields and to design instruments such as mass spectrometers and particle accelerators.