Ball Suspended from Ceiling (Uniform Circular Motion)

In summary, a ball of mass 0.5kg is suspended from a string attached to the ceiling and travels in a horizontal circle of radius 1.5m at a constant speed of 2 m/s. The magnitude of the net force on the mass is 1.33N. When the mass is increased while the speed is kept constant, the angle theta remains the same due to the relationship v = sqrt(g * r * tan(theta)). This proves that the angle theta is independent of the mass and only depends on the velocity and radius.
Gotejjeken

Homework Statement

A ball of mass M = 0.5kg is suspended from a string whose other end is attached to the ceiling. The ball travels in a horizontal circle of radius R = 1.5m at a constant speed of v = 2 m/s.

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam1/fa07/fig25.gif

A. What is the magnitude of the net force Fnet on the mass?

B. If the mass of the ball were increased while the speed of the ball was kept the same, how would the angle theta change?

Homework Equations

Fnet = m * v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I used a Free Body Diagram here with Tension pointing diagonally in the first quadrant, and weight pointing down on the y-axis. I came up with these equations:

(Fnet)x: Tx = Mb * (v2/r)
(Fnet)y: Ty - W = 0

Using the first of these equations I was able to solve for Tension and find that the magnitude of the net force is 1.33N.

B. Here is where I am a little confused at how to approach the problem. The part specifically asks for a mathematical proof in order to be correct, however I am unable to think of how to come up with such a proof.

I was able to come up with a basic idea by using the (Fnet) equations from above and the Pythagorean Theorem. I solved for (Fnet)x and (Fnet)y, then set up a right triangle and found theta to be 74.81 degrees. Then I doubled the mass and again set up a triangle with the new (Fnet)x and (Fnet)y values and found theta to be 74.60 degrees.

While this leads me to believe that theta will stay the same when the mass is changed and the velocity is left the same, it is not the mathematical proof that is asked for. Could someone please point me in the right direction to such a proof?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be very helpful to solve the 2nd equation for T, then sub into the first. The mass cancels so you'll get a relationship between v and theta.

Ah, wow. Thank you, it's the little things that are so often overlooked :smile:. I solved for T as you suggested and subbed it into get:

v = sqrt(g * r * cot(theta))

I suppose the proof would then be the steps leading up to this conclusion and the fact that the result is independent of mass, so no matter what mass the ball is the angle will still remain the same if the velocity is kept constant.

Right!
Check that again - I'm getting tan where you have cot.

Doh! I was using the wrong angle, and thus got cot(theta) instead of tan(theta). Thanks for the help.

Most welcome! Thanks for the interesting problem.

Related to Ball Suspended from Ceiling (Uniform Circular Motion)

1. What is the concept of "Ball Suspended from Ceiling (Uniform Circular Motion)"?

The concept of "Ball Suspended from Ceiling (Uniform Circular Motion)" refers to a scenario where a ball is attached to a string or wire and is suspended from a fixed point on the ceiling. The ball then moves in a circular path around the fixed point, while maintaining a constant speed throughout its motion.

2. What is the force that keeps the ball in circular motion in this scenario?

The force that keeps the ball in circular motion in this scenario is the tension force in the string or wire that holds the ball. This force acts as a centripetal force, constantly pulling the ball towards the center of the circular path.

3. How is the speed of the ball related to its radius of circular motion?

The speed of the ball is directly proportional to its radius of circular motion. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the ball also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation v = ωr, where v is the speed, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path with constant speed, while simple harmonic motion is a type of motion where an object moves back and forth in a straight line with a restoring force acting on it. In uniform circular motion, the object experiences a centripetal force, while in simple harmonic motion, the object experiences a restoring force.

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its motion in this scenario?

The mass of the ball does not affect its motion in this scenario, as long as the string or wire is strong enough to support its weight. This is because the acceleration of the ball is determined by the force acting on it (tension force), which is independent of the mass of the object.