Circular Motion Ball on a String

In summary, a ball of mass 0.28kg swings in a vertical circular path on a string length 0.85kg. The force diagrams for the ball are different depending on its position: (i) at the bottom of the circle, the force diagram shows an upward force of Ft and a downward force of mg, (ii) at the top of the circle, the force diagram shows both forces pointing downwards, and (iii) when the string is horizontal, the force diagram shows a rightward force of Ft and a downward force of mg. The tension in the string is calculated to be -11.7N when the ball's speed is 5.2m/s at the top of the circle and 5.
Fredred

Homework Statement

https://www.dropbox.com/s/slpu1p8jplmxzmy/Screenshot 2014-11-18 20.11.58.png?dl=0

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
ma = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

ai) Ft up, mg down
/\Ft
I
m
I
\/mg

aii) both down
m
I I
\/mg \/Ft

aiii) Ft right, mg down
m - >Ft
I
\/mg

b) Fnet = ma
-Ft - mg = mv^2/r
Ft = -11.7N (after isolation anf plugging in numbers from problem)

c) Fnet = ma
Ft = mv^2/r
Ft = 5.8N

d) Fnet = ma
Ft + mg = mv^2/r
v = 8.8m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem Statement
A ball of mass ##m=0.28\text{kg}## swings in a vertical circular path on a string length ##L=0.85\text{kg}##.
[diagram showing ball, string, and a dotted circle indicating the path - pretty much as you think]

(a) Draw force diagrams for the ball when it is (i) at the bottom of the circle, (ii) when it is at the top, and (iii) when the string is horizontal.
(b) If it's speed is ##5.2\text{m/s}## at the top of the circle, what is the tension in the string?
(c) If it's speed is ##4.2\text{m/s}## when the string is horizontal, what is the tension in the string?
(d) If the string breaks when the tension exceeds ##23\text{N}##, what is the maximum speed the ball can have at the bottom?

... that wasn't so hard.

Your answers seem reasonable to me - you should also provide a bit of reasoning with your working when you present them for marking.

Related to Circular Motion Ball on a String

1. What is circular motion ball on a string?

Circular motion ball on a string is a physics experiment that demonstrates the principles of circular motion. It involves a ball moving in a circular path while attached to a string or rope that is held by a person. This experiment is used to study centripetal force, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What are the factors that affect the circular motion of the ball on a string?

The factors that affect the circular motion of the ball on a string include the length of the string, the mass of the ball, and the speed at which the ball is moving. These factors can change the centripetal force acting on the ball and can affect its motion.

3. What is centripetal force and how does it relate to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts towards the center of the circular path and is equal to the product of the mass of the object, its velocity squared, and the radius of the circle.

4. How does changing the speed of the ball affect the circular motion?

Changing the speed of the ball affects the centripetal force acting on the ball. As the speed increases, the centripetal force also increases, causing the ball to move in a larger circular path. If the speed decreases, the centripetal force decreases, and the ball moves in a smaller circular path.

5. What are some real-life applications of circular motion ball on a string?

Circular motion ball on a string has various real-life applications, including carnival rides, such as the Ferris wheel and merry-go-round, and sports, such as swinging a baseball bat or hitting a tennis ball. It is also used in engineering to design and test circular motion machines, such as centrifuges and carousels.