Ball screw actuator mechanism

Here's a summary: In summary, the speaker is looking for help in finding a reclining mechanism similar to an ambulance stretcher that can lift its own weight through a vertical distance of 610mm. They have been using linear motion products to find manufacturers and have found some possible options with the specifications of extending by 269mm and a maximum dynamic load of 9KN. They are seeking advice on the best model to use.
melanie_new
I have a reclining mechanism which moves by and down. It is X framed, just like an ambulance stretcher. It has to be able to raise its own weight through a vertical distance of 610mm. The length of the stretcher is 2m, and the distance between the wheels is fixed at 1.2m. Can anyone help me go about this...

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've used linear motion products from http://www.thomsonlinear.com/website/com/eng/products/Ball_Screws_and_Lead_Screws.php" to find manufacturers.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey thanks for the links, I've looked at some of the ball screw catalogues and found a few possible ones. The actuator must extend by 269mm and be capable of providing a maximum dynamic load of 9KN. The static load capacity is just a bit less. What would be the best model?

Thanks

Related to Ball screw actuator mechanism

1. What is a ball screw actuator mechanism?

A ball screw actuator mechanism is a type of linear motion system that converts rotary motion into linear motion. It consists of a screw mechanism and a ball nut, which work together to convert rotational movement into precise linear movement. It is commonly used in industrial and scientific applications for precise positioning and motion control.

2. How does a ball screw actuator mechanism work?

The ball screw actuator mechanism works by using a screw mechanism to convert rotational motion into linear motion. The screw is threaded through a ball nut, which contains a series of recirculating ball bearings. As the screw rotates, the ball bearings move along the thread, causing the nut to move in a linear direction.

3. What are the advantages of using a ball screw actuator mechanism?

There are several advantages to using a ball screw actuator mechanism. It offers high precision and repeatability, making it ideal for applications that require precise positioning. It also has a high load-carrying capacity and is relatively efficient, making it suitable for use in heavy-duty applications. Additionally, it has low friction and backlash, resulting in smoother and more accurate motion.

4. What are some common applications of ball screw actuator mechanisms?

Ball screw actuator mechanisms are commonly used in a variety of industrial and scientific applications. Some examples include CNC machines, 3D printers, robots, medical equipment, and aircraft control systems. They are also often used in laboratory equipment for precise positioning and motion control, such as in microscopes and spectrometers.

5. How do I choose the right ball screw actuator mechanism for my application?

Choosing the right ball screw actuator mechanism involves considering several factors such as load capacity, speed, precision, and environmental conditions. It is important to determine the specific requirements of your application and consult with a supplier or engineer to select the appropriate size, type, and specifications of the ball screw actuator mechanism. Factors such as maintenance requirements and cost should also be taken into account.