Ball Launcher Project for school (hit the target)

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating a device that can accurately launch a ball into circular targets that are 5 meters away. Ideas such as a slingshot or catapult are suggested, but a more accurate option would be to use a barrel or springs similar to those used in trap shooting clay launchers. The ball's weight, size, and bounce are taken into consideration, along with the need to fine tune the launch angle and speed. Sketches and pictures are encouraged to be shared.
aamjad001
<< Mentor Note -- this thread is temporarily being allowed in the technical Engineering forums as long as the OP does the bulk of the work >>

Here's the deal,
I have to create a device that can launch ball, that bounces into a target that is 5 meters away. The targets are circular, one is 22" in height and the other is 50". I was thinking of building a slingshot/catapult machine that would point to the ground and the based on its angle and power would shoot into the separate targets. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well if you want accuracy then you should consider using a barrel in your device.

I think a sling shot or catapult may not give you the accuracy you need.

You might find some design ideas by searching online for tennis ball launchers as an example.

jedishrfu said:
Well if you want accuracy then you should consider using a barrel in your device.

I think a sling shot or catapult may not give you the accuracy you need.

You might find some design ideas by searching online for tennis ball launchers as an example.
The playball is 7 inches inches in diameter, I thought about building something like a tennis ball launcher but it would be out of our budget.

aamjad001 said:
Here's the deal,
I have to create a device that can launch ball, that bounces into a target that is 5 meters away. The targets are circular, one is 22" in height and the other is 50". I was thinking of building a slingshot/catapult machine that would point to the ground and the based on its angle and power would shoot into the separate targets. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

aamjad001 said:
The playball is 7 inches inches in diameter, I thought about building something like a tennis ball launcher but it would be out of our budget.

Yeah, a slingshot does not sound accurate. What kind of catapult do you have in mind? What is the ball's mass and what is it made out of? How "bouncy" is it? Can you post a sketch of your catapult idea? How will you fine tune the launch angle and speed? :smile:

berkeman said:
Yeah, a slingshot does not sound accurate. What kind of catapult do you have in mind? What is the ball's mass and what is it made out of? How "bouncy" is it? Can you post a sketch of your catapult idea? How will you fine tune the launch angle and speed? :smile:
The
berkeman said:
The ball weighs about 290-297 grams and is 7 inches in diameter. They are rubber balls, they are pretty bouncy (the balls kids play with in elementary school "playground balls"). I was thinking of building a trebuchet, but instead of using weight perhaps using a bungee cord or springs to propel the device back. The release angle would determine how far the ball is propelled.

I would recommend springs for consistency and accuracy. Do a search on trap shooting clay launchers, and you will find some very consistent spring-loaded launcher mechanisms. You will need to adapt them to your applications, particularly rotating them to vertical launch angles. Have fun and post some pictures of your group's development and the competition. :smile:

berkeman said:
I would recommend springs for consistency and accuracy. Do a search on trap shooting clay launchers, and you will find some very consistent spring-loaded launcher mechanisms. You will need to adapt them to your applications, particularly rotating them to vertical launch angles. Have fun and post some pictures of your group's development and the competition. :smile:
Will do! Thanks for the help!

Related to Ball Launcher Project for school (hit the target)

1. What is the purpose of the ball launcher project?

The purpose of the ball launcher project is to design and build a device that can accurately launch a ball and hit a designated target. This project helps students learn about concepts such as force, motion, and accuracy through a hands-on and practical approach.

2. What materials are needed to build a ball launcher?

The materials needed for building a ball launcher may vary depending on the design, but generally, you will need a long PVC pipe or wooden plank for the base, a rubber band, a cup or container to hold the ball, and a trigger mechanism. You may also need tools such as a saw, drill, and hot glue gun.

3. What factors affect the accuracy of a ball launcher?

The accuracy of a ball launcher can be affected by various factors, including the angle of launch, the amount of force applied, the weight and size of the ball, and external factors such as wind or uneven ground. It is essential to consider these factors during the design and testing phase to improve the accuracy of the ball launcher.

4. How can I improve the performance of my ball launcher?

To improve the performance of your ball launcher, you can experiment with different designs and materials, adjust the angle of launch, and fine-tune the trigger mechanism. You can also conduct multiple trials and record the data to identify any patterns or areas for improvement.

5. Can I use my ball launcher for other purposes?

While the primary purpose of a ball launcher project is to hit a target, you can modify your design to launch different objects or use it for other applications. For example, you can use it as a tennis ball launcher for playing with your pet or for launching water balloons during outdoor activities.