Launching a Small Ball: Targeting Rings & Floor

• Thread starter username111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Rings
In summary, the conversation is about launching a ball from a launcher on a table at 55 degrees into rings placed at various distances. The goal is to find the distance of each ring from the launcher, the height of the ring stands, and the distance of the target on the ground. The equations used are y=(Vy)(t)+1/2gt^2 and x=(Vx)(t). However, there seems to be confusion regarding the values represented by .25, .5, .75, and 1, as well as the use of the horizontal velocity component in determining the horizontal spacing. Clarification and guidance in the right direction are requested.
username111

Homework Statement

i'm launching a small ball from a launcher (on a table) at 55 degrees into rings (at .25, .50, .75, 1) and to a target on the floor.

height from the floor to the launcher: 1.015m
angle: 55
velocity: 6.62 m.s

i have to find how far each ring will have to be from the launcher, how high the ring stands need to be, and how far the target on the ground has to be (to go from the launcher through each ring, and then it the target.)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1156/img005na3.jpg <-- it was a bit big to put in as an image

Homework Equations

y=(Vy)(t)+1/2gt^2
x=(Vx)(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/544/img006fp1.jpg <-- too big to put in as an image

for the distance the rings have to be i used x=(Vx)(t).
i don't think i set this up right though.

how i did it:
first ring
x=(Vx)(t)
x=(.25)t
x=(.25)(1.107s)
x=0.277m

second
x=(.50)(1.107s)
x=.5535

the rest are in the picture.

and to find the height of the ring stands i used max height.

center ring (second one)

t=1.107s/2
t=.5525s

y=(Vy)(t)+1/2gt^(2)
y=(5.423 m/s)(.5535s) + 1/2(-9.8 m/s)(.5535s)^2

first ring height
t=.5535s/2
t=.27675

then i put it in the equation and got 1.13m.

would this be the height from the table or the ground? I'm pretty lost and this is a major grade so any help would be appreciated. :smile: i need some guidance in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears you are inserting the relative postition of the ring into Vx, the velocity of the ball in the horizontal directions. Clarify what the .25, .5, .75 and 1 values represent.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Place the rings at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of flight time?

Or .25m, .5m, .75m, 1m ?

I don't understand your answer in times at all.

Neither do I see you using the horizontal velocity component 3.79 m/s to determine the horizontal spacing.

Related to Launching a Small Ball: Targeting Rings & Floor

1. What is the purpose of targeting rings and floor in launching a small ball?

The purpose of targeting rings and floor in launching a small ball is to provide a specific landing area for the ball, allowing for more accurate and consistent aiming and targeting during the launch.

2. How do targeting rings and floor affect the launch trajectory of the small ball?

Targeting rings and floor can affect the launch trajectory of the small ball by providing a surface for the ball to bounce off of, changing its direction and momentum. The rings can also serve as visual cues for the launch angle and direction.

3. Can targeting rings and floor be used for different types of small balls?

Yes, targeting rings and floor can be designed and adjusted to accommodate different sizes and weights of small balls. The key is to ensure that the rings and floor are proportionate to the size and weight of the ball being used.

4. What materials are commonly used for targeting rings and floor in launching a small ball?

Targeting rings and floor can be made from a variety of materials, including rubber, foam, plastic, or even paper. The specific material used will depend on the purpose, durability, and cost of the targeting system.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using targeting rings and floor in launching a small ball?

As with any scientific experiment or activity, safety should always be a top priority. When using targeting rings and floor in launching a small ball, it is important to ensure that the area is clear of any potential hazards and that the balls being used are appropriate for the setup. It is also important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as goggles, when launching small balls.