Ball bounce angle on inclined surface

In summary, the problem involves a ball striking an inclined plane with infinite mass at a velocity v and the question is about the velocity and direction after the collision. One method of solving this is by taking components along and perpendicular to the inclined plane, while another approach is to use conservation of energy. However, the two methods ultimately give the same answer. The conversation also considers whether there are other methods to solve the problem, but it is concluded that the collision method is the most straightforward. The person asking the question also mentions that they may have used a different method in the past, but cannot remember it. The conversation ends with a request for any other possible solutions, regardless of complexity.
Faris Shajahan

Homework Statement

6081_e71713dd5e0803af18d1d7a7c9021133.png

Ball strikes inclined plane of infinite mass with velocity v vertically. Elastic collisions. Velocity and direction after collision?

One way of solving is take components along and perpendicular to inclined plane and then solve easily.

Is there any way to solve is using energy conservation or some other way?

Homework Equations

Irrelevant. ;)

The Attempt at a Solution

The collision attempt (rather the solution):
Component ##\frac{v}{\sqrt{2}}## and ##\frac{v}{\sqrt{2}}##.
One component reversed, other the same.
Hence answer velocity v horizontally.

P.S.: This is NOT a homework question but for some reason the site admins don't accept that!

Physics news on Phys.org
What other methods did you have in mind?
Are you looking for a more general method that will work for different angles, inelastic collisions, etc.?
Conservation of energy is in effect in your method since ##\| v_{in}\| = \| v_{out}\|##

RUber said:
What other methods did you have in mind?
Are you looking for a more general method that will work for different angles, inelastic collisions, etc.?

I don't care. Just any other method other than the one I used. And I am kind of looking for a "not collision" method.
eg. Body thrown with velocity ##v## from surface of earth. Find final height ##h##. (assume ##g## constant)
Method 1: Newton's laws of motion and hence ##v = \sqrt{2gh}##
Method 2: Conservation of energy and hence ##\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mgh##
So this is an example of what I am looking for.

RUber said:
Conservation of energy is in effect in your method since ##\| v_{in}\| = \| v_{out}\|##
We can't obtain direction by conservation of energy. Right?

You can break the vertical velocity of the ball before the bounce into a component parallel to the inclined plane and vertical to it. Since the plane is at 45 degrees to both horizontal and vertical, that easy. The two components must be equal- calling that equal length "x", we have [itex]x^2+ x^2= 2x^2= v[/itex] so that [itex]x= \frac{v}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

No matter what method you use, the answer will be the same. You will just be dancing around it differently.
In the problem you are given, using infinite mass for the inclined plane and velocity only for the ball, it lends itself to a collision method to solve.
Any other approach I can think of is unnecessarily complicated.

Reason I asked this is because I feel like I used to do it another way before. It just bugs me. I can't do anything else basically. It is an issue I have, if I forget something I can't do anything for the next few days!

So if anyone's got any other solution please post it if you don't mind. I don't mind how unnecessarily complicated it is. All you've got to do is hint me to your solution if it terribly long.

TIA

Related to Ball bounce angle on inclined surface

1. What factors affect the angle at which a ball bounces on an inclined surface?

The angle at which a ball bounces on an inclined surface is affected by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the surface material, and the elasticity of the ball. The height from which the ball is dropped and the speed at which it was thrown can also play a role.

2. Does the mass of the ball have an impact on the bounce angle?

Yes, the mass of the ball can affect the bounce angle on an inclined surface. A heavier ball will generally bounce at a lower angle compared to a lighter ball, as it has more inertia and is less affected by the incline.

3. How does the surface material of the inclined surface affect the bounce angle?

The surface material of an inclined surface can greatly impact the bounce angle of a ball. A rougher surface will create more friction, causing the ball to bounce at a lower angle. A smoother surface will have less friction and result in a higher bounce angle.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the bounce angle of the ball?

The angle of the incline and the bounce angle of the ball are directly related. As the incline becomes steeper, the bounce angle of the ball will decrease. This is due to the increased force of gravity pulling the ball down the incline.

5. Can the elasticity of the ball affect the bounce angle on an inclined surface?

Yes, the elasticity of the ball can play a significant role in the bounce angle on an inclined surface. A more elastic ball will bounce at a higher angle compared to a less elastic ball. This is because the elastic ball can store and release more energy during the bounce, resulting in a higher angle.