Balancing Astronomy and Education: The Life of a Physics Major

• Thread starter Dark_matters84
  • Start date
In summary, the interviewee became interested in astronomy and education due to their fascination with the universe and passion for teaching. A typical day as a physics major includes attending lectures, completing assignments and experiments, and staying up-to-date with research. Balancing coursework with astronomy research can be challenging but is manageable with good time management and support from professors and peers. Common misconceptions about studying physics and astronomy include the idea that it's only for gifted individuals and those who want to become scientists. However, these subjects offer a wide range of career opportunities and require dedication rather than just talent. The advice for aspiring physics majors interested in astronomy and education is to always be curious and never stop learning, seek help when needed, and gain hands-on experience through intern
Dark_matters84
How did you find PF?
Through google search bar
Hello, I am a junior majoring in physics at a university. What got me into physics was through the field of astronomy. I am obsessed with stars, galaxies and just everything about the universe. I am math minded. I love math. However, I enjoy talking about astronomy way more so my minor is education. I have noticed these classes I’ve been taking lately have taken way more than unusual amount of my time. I had to quit my job to focus entirely on these upper division physics classes.

Anybody else study all day and night?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Dark_matters84 said:
I think most people sleep at night and find "studying all day and night" as a gross exaggeration just meaning that yep, college is a lot of work.

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
phinds said:
I think most people sleep at night and find "studying all day and night" as a gross exaggeration just meaning that yep, college is a lot of work.
I do physics in my dreams

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes anorlunda
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Dark_matters84 said:
How did you find PF?: Through google search bar

Not all day and night, because that will be counterproductive in the long run. But I studied about 40 hours a week outside of classes in undergrad, which was challenging but ended up being very rewarding. Maybe shoot for that benchmark for now, and post in our Academic Guidance subforum if you'd like more advice about how to study best.

Dark_matters84 said:
I am obsessed with stars, galaxies and just everything about the universe.
BTW, @phinds didn't let on, but he shares your obsessions... :wink:

berkeman said:
BTW, @phinds didn't let on, but he shares your obsessions... :wink:
Yep. But I sleep at night and did so in college, except on those occasions when I didn't :smile:

Likes berkeman

Related to Balancing Astronomy and Education: The Life of a Physics Major

1. How did you become interested in astronomy and education?

I have always been fascinated by the vastness and complexity of the universe, and I have also always had a passion for teaching and sharing knowledge with others. As I progressed through my education, I found that studying physics and astronomy allowed me to combine these two interests and pursue a career in both fields.

2. What does a typical day as a physics major look like?

A typical day as a physics major involves attending lectures, completing problem sets, conducting experiments in the lab, and studying for exams. I also spend time outside of class reading and researching in order to deepen my understanding of the subject and stay up-to-date with current advancements in the field.

3. How do you balance your coursework with your astronomy research?

Balancing coursework with research can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage time effectively. I make sure to stay organized and plan out my schedule to ensure I have enough time for both my coursework and research. Additionally, I have a strong support system in my professors and peers who provide guidance and help me stay on track.

4. What are some common misconceptions about studying physics and astronomy?

One common misconception is that studying physics and astronomy is only for those who are extremely gifted in math and science. While a strong foundation in these subjects is important, hard work and dedication are also crucial for success in these fields. Another misconception is that physics and astronomy are only for those who want to become scientists. In reality, the skills and knowledge gained from studying these subjects can be applied to a wide range of careers.

5. What advice do you have for aspiring physics majors interested in astronomy and education?

My advice would be to never stop asking questions and never stop learning. Physics and astronomy are constantly evolving and there is always more to discover. Be curious, be persistent, and don't be afraid to seek help and guidance from professors and peers. Also, take advantage of opportunities to gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, and other extracurricular activities.