Bad rear axle shocks very common?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axle
In summary, some believe that there is an epidemic of cars with rear wheel bowed out, due to weak shocks or worn springs. The wheel alignment adjustment can help to keep the wheels parallel and prevent the car from pulling or pushing in the opposite direction.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Some point a while ago while driving I noticed a car whose rear wheels were noticeably bowed outward, thus:
LJ20081224_wheels.gif

Now, wherever I go I notice cars like this. Always the rear wheels, never the front. It seems to be very common.

Is this due to bad shocks? Is there an epidemic?

Physics news on Phys.org
I never noticed that. Could it be because the car's rear is overloaded?
P.S. I am a total car noob

Last edited:
Four Wheel Alignment is necessary on today's design vehicles, yet it remains a mystery to most people. Correct Alignment and a properly operating suspension are vital to vehicle control, not only for safety but also for comfort when driving a vehicle. There is a possibility of incorrect rear wheel thrust line, which can cause the vehicle to pull or push in the opposite direction the wheels are pointing...
http://peugeot.mainspot.net/tips/four_wheel.shtml

In its most basic form, a wheel alignment consists of adjusting the angles of the wheels so that they are perpendicular to the ground and parallel to each other. The purpose of these adjustments is maximum tire life and a vehicle that tracks straight and true when driving along a straight and level road...
http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Some point a while ago while driving I noticed a car whose rear wheels were noticeably bowed outward, thus:
LJ20081224_wheels.gif

Now, wherever I go I notice cars like this. Always the rear wheels, never the front. It seems to be very common.

Is this due to bad shocks? Is there an epidemic?

Have you had a rapid influx of out of state residence; or a VW beetle invasion? But the first would be bad shocks not springs...

the particular angle you're talking about is camber, particularly negative camber. Negative camber improves friction bonds on turns, but most standard automobile tires are designed so that they'll wear evenly with 0 camber.

Most people never get their vehicles aligned though so it wouldn't be surprising to see it a lot on older vehicles. Do you think most of the examples you saw were older?

I'll have to check out rear end axles. Worn springs will decrease in length. With a solid rear axle the wheels will stay parallel--which is what I have. But without two universal joints on each side, worn springs should allow sagging. But I'm talking about rear wheel drive. Guess I'll have to look at independent suspension too.

Whatever hypothesis is put forth will have to agree with the fact that:
- it is always the rear wheels, I've never seen front wheels do this
- it happens across many cars, not rarely (so overloading is unlikely)
- it does seem to occur on newer cars as much as older cars

I think you are probably noticing it on vehicles with independent rear suspension (swing axles). It can be cause by overloading, weak springs, or worn trailing arm bushings.

Then again some performace cars come that way from the factory.

http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/2008-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-3.jpg

Related to Bad rear axle shocks very common?

1. What are rear axle shocks and why are they important?

Rear axle shocks are part of a vehicle's suspension system and are responsible for absorbing and dampening the impact of bumps and vibrations on the road. They help improve the stability and handling of a vehicle, as well as provide a smoother and more comfortable ride for passengers.

2. How do I know if my rear axle shocks are bad?

Some signs of bad rear axle shocks include excessive bouncing or swaying of the vehicle, a bumpy or uncomfortable ride, and uneven tire wear. You may also notice leaking fluid, visible damage, or a knocking sound when going over bumps.

3. What causes rear axle shocks to go bad?

Rear axle shocks can go bad due to normal wear and tear, as well as harsh driving conditions, such as driving on rough roads or carrying heavy loads. Exposure to extreme temperatures or corrosive environments can also contribute to their deterioration.

4. Are bad rear axle shocks a common issue?

Yes, bad rear axle shocks are a common issue in vehicles with high mileage or those that are regularly driven in rough conditions. They are also more likely to go bad if they are not regularly inspected and replaced when necessary.

5. Can I replace my rear axle shocks myself or do I need a professional?

While it is possible to replace rear axle shocks yourself, it is recommended to have a professional do it to ensure proper installation and safety. Additionally, a professional will be able to diagnose and address any other potential issues with the suspension system.