BA in Astrophysics -> MS in Applied Physics -> PhD in Applied Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plan to attend the University of Hawaii at Hilo as an Astrophysics major and their goal of getting a PhD in Applied Physics. They question the necessity of getting a Master's degree and explain their reasoning for choosing this path. The other person advises starting with a general degree and mentions the differences between the US, Canadian, and European systems in regards to obtaining a PhD.
Angela Ituriaga
Hello,

I am about to attend the University of Hawaii at Hilo as an Astrophysics major. I intend to complete my education through getting my PhD in Applied Physics, but I wanted to know if it was necessary to get a Master's? I would think so because of getting a BA in Astrophysics instead of AP. I would also think it is dependent on the school offering PhDs in AP.

The reason why I chose this path is because I want to work on machines and calculations dealing with Astronomy/Space Travel/etc. I figured with a background in Astrophysics, and a PhD in AP, I'd be a strong candidate.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try not to get too far ahead of yourself.

As someone starting out as an undergrad, it's generally better to start more general and then work towards the specifics as you go. Starting with something as specific as "astrophysics" as an undergrad can close more doors than it opens. Why not just do a straight physics degree?

In the US system, it's a lot more common to jump straight from the BSc to the PhD. In Canadian and European systems it's more common to do the MSc first.

Likes berkeman

Related to BA in Astrophysics -> MS in Applied Physics -> PhD in Applied Physics

What is the difference between a BA in Astrophysics and an MS in Applied Physics?

A BA in Astrophysics focuses on the study of astrophysical phenomena, such as stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. An MS in Applied Physics, on the other hand, is a more specialized degree that applies physics principles to real-world problems and technologies.

What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Applied Physics?

With a PhD in Applied Physics, you can pursue a variety of careers in both academia and industry. Some common job titles include research scientist, engineering physicist, and university professor.

How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Applied Physics?

The length of a PhD program can vary depending on the individual's pace and research progress. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a PhD in Applied Physics.

What skills are necessary for success in a PhD program in Applied Physics?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for success in a PhD program in Applied Physics. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and research abilities are also important.

Can I specialize in a specific area of Applied Physics during my PhD studies?

Yes, most PhD programs in Applied Physics allow students to choose a specific area of focus, such as materials science, optics, or biophysics. This allows students to tailor their studies to their interests and career goals.