B-field at point P that is produced by the current in two wires

In summary, the problem involves two long, parallel wires carrying opposite currents and the goal is to find the magnitude and direction of the B-field at point P. The Biot-Savart Law is used to calculate the B-field, and the solution involves resolving the magnetic field vectors along the axes and adding them vectorially. The second attempt of getting B1 and B2 using the second formula is not correct, as the fields add and the system is linear.
AxM=Fam
1. The figure shows an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane, each carrying a current I=5.00A but in opposite directions. What is the magnitude and direction of the B-field at point P that is produced by the current in the two wires?

2. B=(μo/4pi) integral from +infinity to -infinity (I/r^2)(dl x r^)
Biot-Savart Law
B=μoI/2pi(r)

3. I am having a very hard time trying to understand this problem; but this is my attempt which is not complete.
At first I was going to get my B total by Adding B1 + B2 getting each by using the second formula on top. This just doesn't seem right.
Second attempt was getting B1 and B2 using the second formula. Then to get the B field I was going to do B=sqrt of B1^2 + B2^2
but I cannot figure out how to get direction?
Please Help!

Attachments

• BField.docx
    14.6 KB · Views: 196
Physics news on Phys.org
Resolve the Magnetic field vectors ( along the axes) and then add them vectorially.

AxM=Fam said:
1. The figure shows an end view of two long, parallel wires perpendicular to the xy-plane, each carrying a current I=5.00A but in opposite directions. What is the magnitude and direction of the B-field at point P that is produced by the current in the two wires?

2. B=(μo/4pi) integral from +infinity to -infinity (I/r^2)(dl x r^)
Biot-Savart Law
B=μoI/2pi(r)

3. I am having a very hard time trying to understand this problem; but this is my attempt which is not complete.
At first I was going to get my B total by Adding B1 + B2 getting each by using the second formula on top. This just doesn't seem right.
Why not? Just pay attention to the signs.
Second attempt was getting B1 and B2 using the second formula. Then to get the B field I was going to do B=sqrt of B1^2 + B2^2
but I cannot figure out how to get direction?
Please Help!

2nd attempt - forget it! The fields add. The system is linear!

Related to B-field at point P that is produced by the current in two wires

What is the definition of "B-field"?

The B-field, also known as the magnetic field, is a physical quantity that describes the magnetic influence of a current or magnet on its surroundings.

How is the B-field at point P produced by the current in two wires?

The B-field at point P is produced by the interaction between the electric current in the two wires and the magnetic properties of the surrounding space. The direction and strength of the current in the wires determine the direction and strength of the B-field at point P.

What factors affect the strength of the B-field at point P?

The strength of the B-field at point P is affected by the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the current in the wires, and the material properties of the wires and the surrounding space. The B-field also follows the inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the wires increases, the B-field strength decreases.

How is the direction of the B-field at point P determined?

The direction of the B-field at point P is determined by the right-hand rule. If the current in the wires is flowing in the same direction, the B-field will be in the same direction. If the current in the wires is flowing in opposite directions, the B-field will be in the opposite direction.

Can the B-field at point P be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the B-field at point P can be manipulated or controlled by changing the factors that affect its strength. This can be done by adjusting the distance between the wires, the magnitude of the current, or by using materials with different magnetic properties. Additionally, the B-field can also be redirected or shaped by using magnetic shields or conducting materials.