AZING!Acceleration Through a Curve: How to Calculate and Understand It

In summary: You will notice that the components do not change uniformly with time - it depends on the angle. You are taking the sum of the time average of each component over a quarter turn. Averages over time will be different than the instantaneous value unless the rate of change is uniform over time. In summary, the car has an accelleration of 10 m/s for the first 20 seconds, and then a centripetal acceleration of 5 m/s.
NotMrX
If a car gradually changes a direction of 90 degrees at constant speed of 200 m/s over a time period of 20 seconds, then what is the accelleration?

I don't know if the way I worked it was correct. I think the only assumption is that the acceleration is constant.

[tex]a_x=\frac{v_xf-v_xi}{t}=\frac{0-200}{20}=-10[/tex]
[tex]a_y=\frac{v_yf-v_yi}{t}=\frac{200-0}{20}=10[/tex]
[tex]a=\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2}=\sqrt{(-10)^2+10^2}=10\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Does this seem right to you?

Physics news on Phys.org
NotMrX said:
If a car gradually changes a direction of 90 degrees at constant speed of 200 m/s over a time period of 20 seconds, then what is the accelleration?

I don't know if the way I worked it was correct. I think the only assumption is that the acceleration is constant.

[tex]a_x=\frac{v_xf-v_xi}{t}=\frac{0-200}{20}=-10[/tex]
[tex]a_y=\frac{v_yf-v_yi}{t}=\frac{200-0}{20}=10[/tex]
[tex]a=\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2}=\sqrt{(-10)^2+10^2}=10\sqrt{2}[/tex]

Does this seem right to you?
No. Assume it is a curve of constant radius. Work out the centripetal acceleration. Is there any tangential acceleration here? Take the vector sum of both accelerations.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
No. Assume it is a curve of constant radius. Work out the centripetal acceleration. Is there any tangential acceleration here? Take the vector sum of both accelerations.

AM
How would someone do that if the radius isn't given? I understand that
[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
but if there is no r value it seems hard to figure out the centripetal acceleration?

NotMrX said:
How would someone do that if the radius isn't given? I understand that
[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
but if there is no r value it seems hard to figure out the centripetal acceleration?
Use [itex]\theta = \omega t[/itex] and [itex]v = \omega R[/itex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Use [itex]\theta = \omega t[/itex] and [itex]v = \omega R[/itex]

AM

[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}=\frac{v^2}{v/\omega}=v*\omega=v*\frac{\theta}{t}=200*\frac{\pi/2}{20}=5\pi[/tex]

Thanks for the help. How come the other way didn't work?

NotMrX said:
[tex]a_c=\frac{v^2}{r}=\frac{v^2}{v/\omega}=v*\omega=v*\frac{\theta}{t}=200*\frac{\pi/2}{20}=5\pi[/tex]

Thanks for the help. How come the other way didn't work?
Because [itex]\sqrt{2} \ne \pi/2[/itex]. Close but not the same.

You will notice that the components do not change uniformly with time - it depends on the angle. You are taking the sum of the time average of each component over a quarter turn. Averages over time will be different than the instantaneous value unless the rate of change is uniform over time.

AM

Related to AZING!Acceleration Through a Curve: How to Calculate and Understand It

What is acceleration through a curve?

Acceleration through a curve is the rate of change of velocity as an object moves along a curved path. It measures how quickly an object's direction and speed are changing as it moves around the curve.

How is acceleration through a curve calculated?

The formula for acceleration through a curve is a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the curve. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity with respect to time.

What factors affect acceleration through a curve?

The main factors that affect acceleration through a curve are the speed of the object, the radius of the curve, and the mass of the object. A higher speed or smaller radius will result in a greater acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a smaller acceleration.

How does acceleration through a curve differ from linear acceleration?

Acceleration through a curve is different from linear acceleration because it takes into account the changing direction of an object as it moves along a curved path. Linear acceleration only measures the change in speed of an object in a straight line.

Why is acceleration through a curve important?

Acceleration through a curve is important in understanding the physics of circular motion, such as in the movement of objects in a circular orbit or in a roller coaster. It also plays a crucial role in driving and racing, as it determines how quickly a vehicle can navigate through curves and turns.