Axiomatic Systems & Modern Physics

In summary: Are other different axiomatic systems used for QM & GR?I mean, as I'm currently a high school student, all theorems I've learned are proved by the same set of axioms.I wonder if another applicable axiomatic system is used for non-classical physics. There are a few different systems that are used for different types of physics, but I'm not familiar with all of them.
Atran
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this.
Are other different axiomatic systems used for QM & GR?
I mean, as I'm currently a high school student, all theorems I've learned are proved by the same set of axioms.
I wonder if another applicable axiomatic system is used for non-classical physics.

Thanks for any valuable answer...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QM and GR are inconsistent with each other, so presumably they couldn't start with the same axioms.

Bit of advice from a mathematician: Don't treat physics like mathematics. Ultimately physics depends on the real world, while mathematics comes from a consistent set of axioms.

Solid advice. A good theory will be mathematically consistent with itself, but its postulates still come from observation.

mathman said:
Bit of advice from a mathematician: Don't treat physics like mathematics. Ultimately physics depends on the real world, while mathematics comes from a consistent set of axioms.
K^2 said:
Solid advice. A good theory will be mathematically consistent with itself, but its postulates still come from observation.
I know that, for every axiomatic system, there is a logical framework.
We describe reality logically and therefore we are continuously seeking for an axiomatic system which with more accuracy applies to our reality.
If Gödel's incompleteness theorem is true, then is it possible to achieve a complete physics theory?
What if an observed phenomena could be explained by two different sets of axioms, and if so, which one would you recommend?

Last edited:
Problem is that we can't tell that a theory fails to describe something until we try it. That means, no theory can ever be proven to be correct.

With that in mind, yes, it's possible to build a theory that's complete, but it will probably be useless. Something like 1=1 comes to mind. That's about as complete as you can make it, and in terms of mathematical absolutes, no better than any other theory we may develop. But it doesn't describe the real world very well. Or at all. From perspective of physics, that's a bit of a problem.

Atran said:
Are other different axiomatic systems used for QM & GR?
I mean, as I'm currently a high school student, all theorems I've learned are proved by the same set of axioms.
I wonder if another applicable axiomatic system is used for non-classical physics.

In general: it's very rare for a physics theory to be axiomatized.

For instance, there are no axioms for classical electrodynamics. (If I remember correctly someone tried, and came up with a system of 6 axioms or so. I don't know whether that was a sufficient system.)

In the few cases where there is a small set of "laws" the main purpose of those "axioms" is to be evocative. Compared to axioms in mathematics they really serve quite a different purpose.

As I said, the purpose of the "axioms" is to be evocative, to captivate, I don't think there is any mathematical rigor to it. It's about focussing attention on what is regarded as most fundamental in the theory.

mathman said:
Ultimately physics depends on the real world, while mathematics comes from a consistent set of axioms.

K^2 said:

Cleonis said:
In general: it's very rare for a physics theory to be axiomatized.

For instance, there are no axioms for classical electrodynamics.

I'm not a mathematician, but I am fairly certain that continuum mechanics (which includes GR, electrodynamics and thermodynamics) has been fully axiomatized (AFAIK, by Truesdell and Noll), at least in the sense Hilbert meant.

However, it is true that the axioms of continuum mechanics alone do not completely specify the physical behavior of an arbitrary system: for that, *constitutive relations* must be specified (by oberservation or measurement).

But I'm not able to claim this is a fact as well as a real mathematician could.

Related to Axiomatic Systems & Modern Physics

What is an axiomatic system?

An axiomatic system is a set of axioms or basic assumptions from which all other statements or theorems are derived. It is used as a foundation for mathematical or logical reasoning.

What is the role of axiomatic systems in modern physics?

Axiomatic systems play a crucial role in modern physics as they provide a rigorous and logical framework for understanding and describing the laws of nature. They help in formulating and testing hypotheses, making predictions, and ultimately advancing our understanding of the physical world.

How are axiomatic systems different from other scientific theories?

Unlike other scientific theories, axiomatic systems do not require empirical evidence to be proven. They are based on self-evident truths or postulates and use deductive reasoning to arrive at conclusions.

What are some examples of axiomatic systems in modern physics?

Some examples of axiomatic systems in modern physics include Einstein's theory of general relativity, Newton's laws of motion, and quantum mechanics. These systems use a set of axioms to explain and predict various phenomena in the physical world.

Can axiomatic systems be changed or modified?

Yes, axiomatic systems can be changed or modified if new evidence or observations contradict the existing axioms. This process is known as a paradigm shift and has occurred several times in the history of physics, leading to new and improved theories.