What is the role of tautology in an axiomatic system and proof?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of tautology within an axiomatic system and its role in proving propositions. There are three methodologies that can be used: directly using one of the propositions in the axiomatic system, using tautology, and using modus ponens. The individual is uncomfortable with the use of tautology, as it acts as a deus ex machina within the proposition being examined. They question why tautology is allowed and how it justifies the use of any proposition within the axiomatic system. It is clarified that tautology is not a method of proof, but rather a logical equivalence.
kidsasd987
Hi, I have a question about axiomatic system and proof.

Let's say we have a finite sequence of propositions ai, which is an axiomatic system.
To prove a proposition P that is a finite sequence of propositions qi with axiomatic system {ai}, we can take 3 methodologies.

(A) qi itself is equivalent to one of the propositions of axiomatic system.
(T) Tautology
(M) Modus Ponens.But what makes me uncomfortable is (T) tautology. It acts as deus ex machina "within" the proposition P that is examined with axiomatic system.

I believe an axiomatic system is justified by (T) because it justifies propositions by itself, but I wonder why we can use tautology within the propositions P which is under examination of axiomatic system. Because if we can use tautology, inside the proposition P, any proposition can be essentially justified within P regardless of the given axiomatic system (we can justify any qi with tautology).

Could anyone please enlighten me why we are allowed to use tautology (T) within a sequence of propositions P? which questions me why we have a separate axiomatic system although we can justify the sequence by itself.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
kidsasd987 said:
(T) Tautology

It's not clear what would mean to prove something by tautology. The word "tautology" describes the the form of a statement. By the usual meaning of "tautology" , a "tautology" is a logical equivalence, not a method of proof.

Stephen Tashi said:
It's not clear what would mean to prove something by tautology. The word "tautology" describes the the form of a statement. By the usual meaning of "tautology" , a "tautology" is a logical equivalence, not a method of proof.
Ah I get it. thanks!

Related to What is the role of tautology in an axiomatic system and proof?

1. What is an axiomatic system?

An axiomatic system is a set of axioms, or basic assumptions, that are used to derive mathematical or logical truths through the process of deduction. Axioms are considered to be self-evident and do not require proof.

2. What is the purpose of an axiomatic system?

The purpose of an axiomatic system is to provide a foundation for mathematical or logical reasoning. It allows us to build complex systems of knowledge from simple and well-defined principles.

3. How are axioms different from theorems?

Axioms are basic assumptions that are accepted without proof, while theorems are statements that can be proven using axioms and other previously proven theorems. Axioms are also typically more general and fundamental than theorems.

4. What is the process of proof in an axiomatic system?

The process of proof in an axiomatic system involves starting with a set of axioms and using logical reasoning to derive new statements, or theorems, that are also true. This process can involve using previously proven theorems as well as logical rules of inference.

5. Can an axiomatic system be proven to be true?

No, an axiomatic system cannot be proven to be true. Axioms are accepted as true without proof, and the truth of the theorems derived from them is dependent on the truth of the axioms. However, an axiomatic system can be shown to be consistent, meaning that no contradictions can be derived from the axioms and the logical rules of inference.