Axial Loading of a Drive Shaft

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for axial (thrust) forces on a drive shaft and how they may affect bearing design for a mechanical design class project. The speaker is wondering if these forces are negligible and how to calculate them if not. They mention that typical drive shafts have splines that allow for axial movement and that small engines do not generate significant axial forces.
ckpitt55
Hey guys,

I working on a bearing design project for a mech. design class. The bearings will be used to support an automotive drive shaft, and I was wondering:

1) if there were any axial (thrust) forces introduced to the shaft by the engine and whether they are negligible or not
2) if they are not negligible, how to calculate them?

I feel as though its important to my bearing design, because if axial loads are non-negligible I am going to go with something like a tapered roller bearing, and rely on shaft shoulders and thrust shims to help take up the load.

Thinking about it I feel as though it exists, I'm just not sure how it manifests itself or how to account for it. Is my intuition misguided?

Thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
there is no appreciable axial thrust. typical drive shaft input shafts have splines that permit axial movement. the differential of a rear wheel drive vehicle will move up and down due to road conditions and this will move the input shaft in and out of the transmission. The same applies to front wheel drive trans axles that also have limited movement.

hi

If you trun on an engine ( for example a small one : 50cc ) , you can see that there is not any impressive axial force on the drive shaft of the engine. you can keep the engine on for a long time on the ground without any fixture.

Related to Axial Loading of a Drive Shaft

1. What is axial loading of a drive shaft?

Axial loading of a drive shaft refers to the force applied along the axis or centerline of the shaft. It is the force that acts parallel to the length of the shaft, either pushing or pulling on the shaft.

2. Why is axial loading important in drive shaft design?

Axial loading is important in drive shaft design because it affects the strength and durability of the shaft. Excessive axial loading can lead to bending or buckling of the shaft, causing it to fail or break.

3. How is axial loading calculated for a drive shaft?

Axial loading can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the force to the centerline of the shaft. This results in a measurement of force per unit length, typically in units of pounds per inch or Newtons per meter.

4. What factors can affect the axial loading of a drive shaft?

The axial loading of a drive shaft can be affected by various factors such as the amount and direction of applied force, the material and diameter of the shaft, and the speed and direction of rotation. Other factors may include temperature, lubrication, and external forces such as vibrations or impacts.

5. How can axial loading be minimized in drive shafts?

To minimize axial loading in drive shafts, engineers may use techniques such as balancing the weight and distribution of the shaft, selecting materials with appropriate strength and stiffness, and properly aligning the components connected to the shaft. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help prevent excessive axial loading and extend the lifespan of the drive shaft.