Axes of an ellipse. I on this

In summary: Thank you for the explanation.In summary, the textbook states that a^2=p^2/(1-e^2)^2 and b^2=p^2/(1-e^2) are two axes of an ellipse, with p being the focal parameter and e being the eccentricity. However, there is no proof provided to confirm that a and b are indeed the axes of an ellipse. After asking the assistant professor, who was unable to provide a proof, it was realized that a simple calculation can confirm this relationship. By using the Pythagorean theorem and the definition of eccentricity and focal parameter, it can be shown that a^2=p^2/(1-e^2)^2 and b^2=p^2/(
sutupidmath
in my textbook says that a^2=p^2/(1-e^2)^2, and b^2=p^2/(1-e^2), are two axes of an ellipse, however there is no any proof as to how we can be sure that a and b are such axes. Where p is the focal parameter, and e is the eccentricity of the ellipse; a- is the big semi-axes, b- the small one.So i would like to know is there any proof that ensures us that the above expressions are indeed or represent the axes of any ellipse??
I asked the assistant proffesor on my Analytical Geometry class, but she did not know how to proof it.

Any help would be welcomed.

sorry for reposting it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I wonder if your professor wasn't just hoping you would think about it more yourself- it's a simple calculation.

For any ellipse, the distance, d, from one focus to the ellipse and back to the other focus is a constant.

For an ellipse with major axis a along the x-axis, minor axis b, equation
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2}+ \frac{y^2}{b^2}= 1[/itex]
the total distance from one focus, to the point (a, 0) to the other focus is d= 2a (that should be obvious- the distance you don't cover, from a focus to (-a, 0), is exactly the distance you cover twice, from the other focus to (a, 0)). Now, taking c to be the distance from the center to a focus (so the foci are at (c, 0) and (-c, 0)), the focal distance, we have, by the Pythagorean theorem, that (d/2)2= a2= b2+ c2 so that c2= a2- b2.

The "eccentricity" is defined to be the ratio of focal distance to the length of the major-semiaxis, here that is
[tex]e= \frac{\sqrt{a^2- b^2}}{a}= \sqrt{1- \frac{b^2}{a^2}}[/tex]

The focal parameter, p, is the distance from the focus to the nearest directrix. For an ellipse, a directrix is a line perpendicular to the major axis such that the ratio of the distance from any point on to the nearest focus to the distance from that point to the nearest directrix is equal to the eccentricity. That is, with x the x coordinate of any point on the directix,
[tex]\frac{x-a}{a-c}= e[/itex]
Since c= ae, that is
[tex]\frac{x- a}{a- ae}= \frac{x- a}{a(1-e)}= e[/itex]
so that x- a= ae(1-e) and x= a+ ae(1-e)= a(1+ e- e^2).
Since x is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the directrix, p, the distance from the focus to the directrix is p= x- c= x- ae= a(1+ e- e^2)- ae= a(1- e^2). From that, a= p/(1- e2) which is equivalent to a2= p2/(1- e2)2, of course.

Since b2= a2- c2= a2- a2e2= a2(1- e2), we have b2= (p2/(1- e2)2)(1-e2)= p2/(1- e2).

thnx
It's all clear to me now.

Related to Axes of an ellipse. I on this

1. What are the axes of an ellipse?

The axes of an ellipse are the two perpendicular lines that pass through the center of the ellipse and intersect at the longest and shortest points on the ellipse, known as the major and minor axes.

2. How are the axes of an ellipse calculated?

The length of the major axis is equal to twice the semi-major axis, which is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the furthest point on the ellipse. The length of the minor axis is equal to twice the semi-minor axis, which is the distance from the center of the ellipse to the closest point on the ellipse.

3. What is the relationship between the axes of an ellipse?

The major and minor axes of an ellipse are always perpendicular to each other, with the major axis being the longer of the two. The lengths of the axes also determine the shape of the ellipse, with a greater difference between the lengths resulting in a more elongated shape.

4. How do the axes of an ellipse relate to its eccentricity?

The eccentricity of an ellipse is a measure of how elongated or circular the ellipse is. It is calculated by dividing the distance between the foci (the two fixed points inside the ellipse) by the length of the major axis. A higher eccentricity indicates a more elongated shape, while a lower eccentricity indicates a more circular shape.

5. Can the axes of an ellipse be rotated?

Yes, the axes of an ellipse can be rotated, as long as the relative lengths of the major and minor axes remain the same. This means that the shape of the ellipse will not change, only its orientation in space.