Time Dependent Semi-Major & Semi-Minor Axes in Ellipse Equation

• Thread starter WannabeNewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ellipse
In summary, yes, it is possible to have time dependent semi-major and semi-minor axes in the standard form of an ellipse. However, the equation provided does not show this as the axes remain constant for all time. To have time dependent axes, the equation should have the initial coordinate separations on the top and the time variance of the separation plus sine terms on the bottom. This allows for the possibility of an object moving around the ellipse with changing speed.
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Can the semi - major and semi - minor axes of an ellipse be time dependent? More specifically, can you have time dependent semi - major and semi - minor axes present in the standard form of the ellipse? I have an equation of the form [tex]\frac{(\xi ^{1}(t))^{2} }{a^{2}} + \frac{(\xi ^{2}(t))^{2}}{b^{2}} = 1 [/tex] where [itex]\xi ^{\alpha }[/itex] are components of a separation vector, [itex]a^{2} = [2 + \frac{1}{2}sin^{2}\omega t](\xi ^{1}(0))^{2}[/itex], and [itex]b^{2} = [2 + \frac{1}{2}sin^{2}\omega t](\xi ^{2}(0))^{2}[/itex] but I don't know if the standard form can actually have time dependent semi - major and minor axes.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, of course. However what you are writing does NOT.
[tex]\frac{\xi^1(t))^2}{a^2}+ \frac{\xi^2(t))^2}{b^2}= 1[/tex]
is a single ellipse with axes of length a and b for all t. If t is "time", this could be interpreted as an object moving around that fixed ellipse with changing speed.

An ellipse with "time dependent sem- major and minor axes" would be
[tex]\frac{x^2}{(a(t))^2}+ \frac{y^2}{(b(t))^2}= 1[/tex]

You can add "time dependence" or dependence on any other variable at will, just by making some parameters function of that variable.

HallsofIvy said:
An ellipse with "time dependent sem- major and minor axes" would be
[tex]\frac{x^2}{(a(t))^2}+ \frac{y^2}{(b(t))^2}= 1[/tex]
So if in the original equation, If I had the usual X and Y instead of the time dependent separation vector but with the same form of the semi - major and minor axes that I posted above then it would be allowed? Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Never mind I get what you are saying. I think I should have had the initial coordinate separations on the top and the time variance of the separation plus the sin terms on the bottom.

Last edited:

Related to Time Dependent Semi-Major & Semi-Minor Axes in Ellipse Equation

1. What is a simple ellipse?

A simple ellipse is a closed curve shape that is formed by a point moving in a plane in such a way that the sums of its distances from two fixed points is constant. It is also known as an oval or a flattened circle.

2. How is the area of a simple ellipse calculated?

The area of a simple ellipse can be calculated using the formula A = πab, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipse. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as A = πr1r2, where r1 and r2 are the radii of the major and minor axes.

3. What is the difference between a simple ellipse and a circle?

A simple ellipse has two different radii, whereas a circle has only one radius. This means that a simple ellipse is elongated or flattened, whereas a circle is perfectly round. Additionally, all points on a circle are equidistant from its center, whereas the distance from the center to any point on a simple ellipse varies.

4. Can a simple ellipse have a negative area?

No, a simple ellipse cannot have a negative area. The area of an ellipse is always positive, as it is a measure of the space enclosed by the shape. However, the area can be equal to zero if the ellipse is degenerate and collapses into a line or a point.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple ellipses?

Simple ellipses can be found in many natural and man-made objects, such as the orbits of planets around the sun, the shape of an egg, the design of some satellites, and the tracks of some roller coasters. They can also be seen in the shape of some fruits, such as watermelons and lemons.