Avg Velocity Calculation: San Antonio-Houston & Back

In summary, average velocity refers to the total displacement divided by the total time taken. In the given scenario, the driver traveled at 55 km/hr for half the time and 90 km/hr for the other half, resulting in an average speed of 72.5 km/hr for the entire trip. To find the average velocity, one must also consider the direction of motion, which can be determined by plotting the position versus time on a graph.
pseudonewtonian
Average velocity ?

You're driving an interstate 10 from Sn Antonio to Houston half the time at 55km/hr and the other half at 90km/hr . What is your average speed a) from San Antonio to Houston b) from Houston back to San Antonio c) for the entire trip ? What is your average velocity for the entire trip ? Indicate how average velocity can be found on a sketch of x versus t ?

HI I'm new to the forums and this question has me all confused... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The average speed over some time interval T is (distance travelled)/T
You know you traveled 55 km/hr for a period of T/2
and 90 km/h for the remaining period of T/2.
With this you can find the total distance travelled.

If you do not know the answers to a) and b) you have a serious problem! Run, do not walk to your instructor and throw yourself on his/her mercy.

The answer to c) depends upon whether you really mean "velocity" rather than "speed" (do you know the difference?). If it really is "velocity" (and you know the distinction between "speed" and "velocity") the problem is trivial.

If you really mean the "average speed", then you will have to know the distance between San Antonio and Houston. That CANNOT be calculated from the information given here- you may have to consult a map! I notice that one speed is given in "miles per hour" and the other in "kilometers per hour". If you find the distance in miles, you will want to convert " 60 kilometers per hour" to "__ miles per hour". If you find the distance in kilometers, you will want to convert the other way. Once you know the distance, how long (time) does it take to drive from San Antonio to Houston at 55 mi/hr? How long does it take to drive from Houston to San Antonio (same distance of course) at 60 km/hr. What is the total time taken to drive the total distance (twice the distance from San Antonio to Houston)?

HallsofIvy said:
If you do not know the answers to a) and b) you have a serious problem! Run, do not walk to your instructor and throw yourself on his/her mercy.

:smile: :-p

consult a map... ? Thats not given in the problem.. and i got a serious problem u say ? Well u might be right. I still do not understand what to do... This sum is from Fundamentals Of Physics - Resnick Halliday Walker 1st chapter.. and by the way i missed out on some info... ie.. On the way back from Houston u drive at 55km/hr for half the distance and 90km/hr for the other half... this should've been there before the questions

pseudoNewtonian said:
consult a map... ? Thats not given in the problem.. and i got a serious problem u say ? Well u might be right. I still do not understand what to do... This sum is from Fundamentals Of Physics - Resnick Halliday Walker 1st chapter.. and by the way i missed out on some info... ie.. On the way back from Houston u drive at 55km/hr for half the distance and 90km/hr for the other half... this should've been there before the questions

A and B really are pretty darn easy questions. They're not even really physics.

You have six apples and I have four apples, what is the average number of apples we each have?

ya you i get it ek... and i know the difference between physics sums and apples... that's ok... i know how to do it that way but is that quite right physically ? Thats my problem I don't get the physical significance of it otherwise average is kid's play.. btw this is not my homework or anything so i aint being lazy... kinematics is driving me mad

There's nothing more to it than that.

55 + 90 / 2

So if the distance between the two cities was 290km, then it would take 4 hours.

55 km/hr for 2 hrs = 110 km
+
90km/hr for 2 hrs = 180 km
290 km in four hours.
290/4 is 72.5km/hr, just like the original equation.

May I know how old is a Grade K-12 student?

primarygun said:
May I know how old is a Grade K-12 student?

K -> Kindergarten -> 5 years old.

12 -> Grade 12 -> 16/17/18 years old.

K-12 is every age in between.

Oh so I am not in G-12 lol

pseudoNewtonian said:

Make sure whether the question is saying you drove half the time at a given speed or half the distance at a given speed. Half the time is pretty easy - you just take the average of your speeds. For half the distance, you need to find out how long it took you for the first leg, then how long it took you for the second leg.

And, actually, if you play with the equations, you can find the average speed without knowing the distance, even in the second case.

[tex]t_{tot}=\frac{d}{s_1}+\frac{d}{s_2}[/tex]

or

[tex]t_{tot}=\frac{ds_2 +ds_1}{s_1s_2}[/tex]

[tex]s_{ave}=\frac{2d}{t_{tot}}[/tex]

The distance winds up canceling out.

Related to Avg Velocity Calculation: San Antonio-Houston & Back

What is the formula for calculating average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is average velocity = total displacement / total time. This means that to calculate average velocity, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the object by the total time it took to travel that distance.

How do I calculate the total displacement for the San Antonio-Houston trip?

To calculate the total displacement, you need to determine the distance between the starting point (San Antonio) and the end point (Houston). This can be done by using a map or online distance calculator.

How do I calculate the total time for the San Antonio-Houston trip?

The total time for the trip can be calculated by subtracting the start time from the end time. Make sure to convert all times into the same unit (e.g. minutes or hours) before subtracting.

Can I use a GPS device to calculate average velocity?

Yes, a GPS device can be used to calculate average velocity. The device will track the distance traveled and the time it took, making it easy to plug into the formula for average velocity.

Why is average velocity important in this scenario?

Average velocity is important because it gives us an overall understanding of the speed at which an object is moving. In this scenario, it can help us determine the efficiency of travel between San Antonio and Houston. It can also be used to compare different modes of transportation or routes.