Finding time given average velocity

In summary: It is a coincidence.In summary, the problem involves a car traveling east at 45km/hr for 120km, then west at 70km/hr for 50km, and finally east at 40km/hr for an unknown amount of time. The average velocity for the entire trip is 30km/hr east. To find the unknown time, a graph can be sketched with the first line representing the average velocity of 30km/hr, the second line representing the total distance traveled at a steady speed, and the third line representing the final speed. The intersection of the first and third lines gives the answer of 3.14 hours. Another method is to imagine a second car traveling at 30km/hr east and finding
canucks81

Homework Statement

A car travels 120km East at 45km/hr, then goes West 50km at 70km/hr, then goes East again for time t at 40km/hr. If the average velocity for the entire trip is 30km/hr East, find the time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

time of car traveling East at beginning:
t=d/t 120km/45 kph t = 2.67hr

time of car traveling West
t=d/t 50km/70 kph t = 0.71hr

Now this is where I get stuck. I'm not sure what the next step would be since I'm not given distance for the car traveling East again. The answer is 3.14 hrs. I know a question like this will be on my test tomorrow, so help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
canucks81 said:

Homework Statement

A car travels 120km East at 45km/hr, then goes West 50km at 70km/hr, then goes East again for time t at 40km/hr. If the average velocity for the entire trip is 30km/hr East, find the time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

time of car traveling East at beginning:
t=d/t 120km/45 kph t = 2.67hr

time of car traveling West
t=d/t 50km/70 kph t = 0.71hr

Now this is where I get stuck. I'm not sure what the next step would be since I'm not given distance for the car traveling East again. The answer is 3.14 hrs. I know a question like this will be on my test tomorrow, so help would be greatly appreciated.

I would sketch a graph for guidance.

You know how long the vehicle has been traveling for so far, and how far away it currently is. From that can deduce the "other way" of getting there at the right time, just travel 70 km East at a steady speed of (what ever).

Now the graph:

Draw a single line representing an average speed of 30 km/hr, starting at the origin.
Draw a second line from the origin to 70km at time (2.67 + 0.71) hrs.
Now draw a third line, from the end of the second, representing a speed of 40 km/h.

When the 1st and 3rd lines intersect, we have the answer.

You should be able to find the equation of the 1st and 3rd lines and solve algebraically to get the answer you seek.

PeterO said:
I would sketch a graph for guidance.

You know how long the vehicle has been traveling for so far, and how far away it currently is. From that can deduce the "other way" of getting there at the right time, just travel 70 km East at a steady speed of (what ever).

Now the graph:

Draw a single line representing an average speed of 30 km/hr, starting at the origin.
Draw a second line from the origin to 70km at time (2.67 + 0.71) hrs.
Now draw a third line, from the end of the second, representing a speed of 40 km/h.

When the 1st and 3rd lines intersect, we have the answer.

You should be able to find the equation of the 1st and 3rd lines and solve algebraically to get the answer you seek.

OR:

Imagine if a second vehicle, traveling at 30km/h East, began at the same time as you. After (2.67 + 0.71) hours, that vehicle will be 30*(2.67 +0.71) km from the start, you are only 120 - 50 km from the start. That shows how far in front the other vehicle would be at that time.
From that time, you are traveling 10 km/hr faster than the first car. How long will it take you to catch up to the other car then?

Thanks for the help, I finally got it.

Last edited:
canucks81 said:
Thanks for the help, I finally got it.

Note: if you retain the times as fractions [8/3, 5/7] the final answer is 22/7 which you would recognise as the Junior maths approximation of pi, and so 3.14.

Related to Finding time given average velocity

1. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the total displacement by the total time taken. The formula for average velocity is: v = Δx/Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

2. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, whereas speed is a scalar quantity that only includes magnitude. In other words, velocity tells us the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction, while speed only tells us how fast an object is moving regardless of direction.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the negative direction as defined by the coordinate system being used. For example, if an object travels from 10 meters to 5 meters in 2 seconds, the average velocity would be -2.5 m/s.

4. How does acceleration affect average velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so it can affect the average velocity by either increasing or decreasing it. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, the average velocity will increase. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its velocity, the average velocity will decrease.

5. What are some real-life examples of finding time given average velocity?

Finding time given average velocity can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the time it takes for a car to travel from one city to another at a given average speed, or determining the time it takes for an airplane to reach its destination at a certain average velocity. It can also be used in sports, such as calculating the time it takes for a runner to complete a race at a given average speed.