Average velocity vector question. Try again

In summary, the conversation discusses a train's average velocity as it travels east for 40 minutes, then in a direction 50 degrees east of north for 20 minutes, and finally west for 50 minutes. The question asks for the magnitude and angle of the train's average velocity during the trip. After some calculations, the correct solutions are determined to be 7.9km/h for the magnitude and 22.5 degrees east of north for the angle. A common error in the calculations is overlooking the change in direction of the train's motion.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

A train with constant velocity of 60km/hour travels east for 40minutes; then in a direction 50degrees east of north for 20minutes; then west for 50minutes. A)What are the magnitude and B) angle of its average velocity during the trip?

Homework Equations

sinx; cosx; tanx<-- I think.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main trouble is finding out what the question is asking. I have determined that the magnitudes of each are 40km;20km;50km respectively.
I have drawn each vector on a cartesian coordinate plane such that they start at the origin and then connect tip to tail. IS the displacement vector the one that extends from the origin to the tip of the last one drawn?

This is my first post so I apologize if it is difficult to follow. Is there a way I could have drawn this w/out a scanner? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your description is clear enough. And yes, the total displacement is just the vector connecting the starting point with the ending point.

Here is the work I have done, but the book is giving a solution of 7.9km/h...and 22.5 degrees east of north. I don't know where I went wrong. Am I approaching this all wrong?
Photo2.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:
The magnitude of the average vector velocity is the magnitude of the final displacement vector divided by the total time (and convert units to m/s as needed). The angle is the angle of your resultant V up from the horizontal (East) axis. I get about the right answer using the numbers from your picture -- did you account for the time correctly?

sorry...the solution was not in m/s...it is 7.9km/h...The displacement vector is the dotted life correct? which equals 19.9. Divided by by 1 and 5/6 of an hour is getting me 10.8.
And the angle is stated as East OF North, meaning the angle formed by the Y axis and the vector(clockwise).

I think I see your error. See how it's initially 40+15.3km to the right, and then later 50km to the left? I had wondered where you were getting the 19 number from...

19 is the length of hypoteneuse (the displacement vector) formed by the right triangle with a=15.3 and b=12.8.

Wow. You are correct in that regard. 55.3 east NOT 65.3...Holy oversight Batman. ...I am still getting errors, but it is extremely close now; I am sure they are round-off errors. I will re-calculate the problem. Thank you.
~Casey

Much Better.:cool:

Photo10.jpg

These evaluations yield the correct solutions.:smile:

Related to Average velocity vector question. Try again

1. What is the difference between average velocity and average speed?

The average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time taken to travel that distance. It takes into account the direction of motion. On the other hand, average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the time taken, and it does not consider direction.

2. How do you calculate average velocity?

To calculate the average velocity, you need to divide the displacement by the time taken. The displacement is the distance and direction from the starting point to the ending point, while the time taken is the difference between the ending time and starting time.

3. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. It indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point. For example, if the reference point is to the right and the object is moving to the left, the average velocity would be negative.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

The average velocity is the average rate of change of an object's position over a specific period, while the instantaneous velocity is the exact rate of change of an object's position at a particular moment in time. In other words, average velocity is an average of an object's velocity over time, while instantaneous velocity is the object's velocity at a specific instant.

5. Can average velocity change over time?

Yes, the average velocity can change over time. This can happen if the velocity of the object changes, or if the direction of motion changes. For example, if an object is moving at a constant speed in one direction and then changes its speed or direction, the average velocity would also change.